Chapter 33

It was half past eight. Half last eight was probably my bedtime when I was 9 years old, but I hadn't yet seen where I would be sleeping and we were both tired from our disturbed sleeping patterns. Although the hospital had been peaceful, we still woke up at the drop of a hat from constantly being cautious in the underground dollhouse. Being in a room with five other other girls who like most other people on the planet, make some kind of sound in their sleep, we all woke up at least once each night.

"This is the spare bedroom." Aria said while opening the door to a room. The double bed had colourful floral bedding. To match the bed frame, dresser and bedside tables were made from a medium shade of wood. There was a full length mirror and fairy lights were draped from all four corners of the ceiling. The bed looked unbelievable comfortable and the room was so cosy and safe feeling, but it didn't seem right. I couldn't stand the thought of sleeping alone, and I think Aria felt the same. We were both still traumatised by where we had been, but we're trying to make sure it didn't affect our life.

"If you want, we could drag the mattress into my room. You could even sleep in my bed if you like." Aria told me. She was trying to make it seem like she didn't mind where I chose to stay, but she wasn't fooling anyone.

"Can we stay together tonight? I can't stand the thought of staying alone again, since the last time I was all alone wasn't the most positive of experiences." I answered truthfully.

"To be perfectly honest, neither can I." Aria confessed. "Come on, let's drag this mattress." Aria said, pretending to be overly enthusiastic which made me smile. We removed the duvet and the pillow, throwing them on the floor. We even took a corner of the a tress each and tipped it sideways before Aria dragged and I pushed the mattress through the landing and into Aria's bedroom. Her room was tidy and quite big, so there wasn't any trouble with dumping the mattress in the middle of the empty floor space.

We both sat on Aria's bed talking and listening to some music. It felt so right to just sit and chat. I felt although I was making up for all the years I missed with the amazing girl who was more than likely my sisters.

"Did you find it a little suspicious when dad hadn't been answering any of mom's calls or texts?" Aria asked. Recently I had been feeling like we were the cast of scooby doo trying to solve mysteries.

"I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it then, but you're right. The last time Byron he was acting quite suspicious, now I think about it. He looked slightly worried and slightly angry when Ella had asked about me." I told Aria, wondering why this hasn't sunk in earlier.

"Ugh, I can't wait until they just confess to the fact that we have the same DNA so you can stop calling Dad Byron and Mom Ella. Or Mum as you would say." Aria said while mimicking my English accent. She gave me a smirk before lying back before I could say anything. While lying back, she hit her head on the wall. I laughed at her before asking if she was okay. Usually this is what people do after years of friendship, but I had an immediate bond with Aria. It's amazing how close you can become to someone in just a few weeks.

Once we had finished our chats, laughs, and mystery solving, my eyes were sore and dry from tiredness. I got up from my slouchy position on Aria's bed a fell into my own. I fell asleep in minutes, smiling, which are two things I haven't done in a long time.