Chapter 40

//Thank you for all the votes, reads, and amazing comments. Please leave comments or send me a message on book cover opinions. Should I keep the current one or make a new one?//

Once everyone had finished eating I offered to help Ella clean the kitchen while Aria went to call her friends. She hasn't been able to talk to them a lot without me always being around.

Aria went to her room and Mike went to his, leaving me and Ella alone. The only time it had been the two of us until now was when we talked in the hospital. Ella piled up the plates and cutlery while I turned the tap on and squirted some washing up liquid into the sink to make a pool of soapy warm water.

"Can I wash and you dry? I'm not sure where everything goes yet." I explained to Ella. Most people hate washing up and would prefer to dry, but I had worked drying and putting away dishes on a cafe and got extremely bored of it. Within the first few days of working I knew which cupboard or drawer every item went in the huge kitchen.

"Sounds like a great idea." Ella agreed. I heard Ella mumbling to herself while as she started putting a few washed forks into a drawer.

"Nancy, I know this is such a lot to take in, but I don't believe Byron. I can't see how you could not be related to our family, and I think anyone with a decent set of eyes would be able to see that. Your mannerisms and voice are a lot like Aria's, and that's something you can't fake. You have the same laugh and smile as Mike, which is something else you can't fake." Ella blurted out. It was like she had been hiding this for a while and let it all out at once. She spoke fast, but I could just understand her. After she had her mini rant, there was a short silence. I used this time to dry my hands on a dry cloth and give Ella a big hug. I hadn't had a hug from an adult I cared about for a long time, and I felt protected and loved.

"You girls should all get to live a normal life." Ella said into my shoulder.

"What is normal anyway? As crazy as my life has been over the past few months, right now is one of the happiest times of my life so far. Yes, paranoia and fears of being kidnapped again keeps me up at night, but I love it here. I don't know what you think about me, but you're the main reason I'm here." I said to Ella, a warm tear slowly running down my cheek. I must have looked a sight with tears eyes and a cheesy smile that I couldn't control.

"We're you not happy with your adoptive parents?" Ella asked, probably confused on why I was so much happier here. I explained on how o didn't fit in, didn't have anyone close to to to. She gave me a supportive and reassuring smile when I told her about when my father got a little violent. My dad wasn't an evil man, and I made sure I mentioned how I still loved both of the adults who I had called my parents for sixteen years.

"This is so much for me to take on, let alone a sixteen year old schoolgirl. I do hope everything will start to make sense soon." Ella said with a sigh.

"So do I." I agreed. I sighed a little, before smiling because our sighs were so alike. Most people wouldn't analyse a sigh, but I was studying every tiny feature of Ella, Aria, and Mike everyday.

"Why don't you go upstairs before Aria starts to wonder what's going on." Ella said. I left the room, stopping to blow her a kiss from the doorway. It was very cheesy, but I was unbelievably happy to have multiple people I felt close to.

I ran upstairs and opened the bedroom to Aria's bedroom. Aria was sitting on her bed with a huge smile lighting up her beautiful face.

"I may have happened to overhear a little mother and daughter conversation." Aria said, laughing slightly. Nothing was funny, but we were just so happy that not just a smile would express our happiness. I felt like I was in the right place for once.