Chapter 46

Anyone could figure out that Aria was the one who found the plane tickets due to the guilty look on her face. She tried to hide it, but she wasn't fooling anyone. It's hard to believe that she kept her relationship with her teacher a secret for as long as she did without suspicion. I didn't know a whole lot about Ezra, apart from the fact he was Aria's English teacher and boyfriend. I had seen photos of him and knew a bit about his interests and personality from the fake emails I received when still living in England. Aria had told me stories and other things that involved Ezra, but I chose to switch off then. I didn't need all these romantic stories when I hadn't done more than hug a male my age.

"Should we game the cases downstairs?" Aria asked one her mother had gone downstairs. Her usually pale cheeks were still a little red from that guilty face she was sporting earlier.

"I'll grab the bottom of the case. We can carry it down so the whole of Rosewood doesn't have to hear your case bashing against every step." I came up with a good plan, seeing as the stairs were made from hard wood. I knew how hard it was from when I stubbed my toe on the third step a few days ago.

As we got closer to the bottom of the stairs, me and Aria were able to overhear a loud conversation from the kitchen. It didn't take a genius to work out who the angry voices belonged to.

"I'm traveling halfway across the world to find out if Nancy is my daughter. I can't believe the man I married, spent half of my life with, and has two children with won't tell me anything. It's obvious you're hiding something. All of the kids know there's something wrong, too. Why are you being so stubborn, Byron?" I heard Ella angrier than ever before. I felt a bit rude listening in, but I suppose it did concerned me. After Ella's argument, there was quite a long pause. If I was Byron, I would have crawled into a small corner by now. Ella probably put the most important points into about fifteen seconds of speech, and Byron had nothing to argue against her.

"I've had enough of everyone arguing about me." I said quietly, turning to face Aria. After Aria acknowledged what I had said, I began to walk to the kitchen to interrupt. 

When I entered the room, all eyes were on me. There were only two pairs of eyes in the room, but at the time it seemed a lot more dramatic. Byron looked quite surprised to see me, whereas Ella looked relieved to see another face other than her ex-husband's.

"I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, but wouldn't it be easier to get a blood test done?" I said in my most angelic voice. I could see the corners of Ella's mouth rising slightly, as she knew me well enough to know that my English accent was nowhere near that posh or strong. I quickly glanced to see what Byron's facial expressions were, to see that it was the same slightly surprised face.

"That sounds like a great idea." Ella agreed, turning to look at Byron to find out his opinion on the idea.

"That sounds like a reasonable idea." Byron confessed.

"I'm pretty sure you already know if the tests are going to come out positive or negative. If I didn't see any myself in Nancy, I'd say Meredith wasn't the first time you got bored with me." Ella said, purposely trying to wind Byron up.

"I was not with another woman, Ella. You know I loved you with all my heart. I visited you every day while you were in a coma for a whole month after Mike was born." Byron started to raise his voice. You could quite tell if he was angry or broken.

"What coma?" Ella asked, seeming genuinely confused and oblivious to ever being in such a condition.

"Ella, how could you forget. Right after Mike's birth you were in a coma for a month and two days." Byron spoke quieter as he noticed how hurt Ella looked.