Chapter 29

I was sitting in the back of Ella's car with Aria. Although Byron wasn't with us and had left earlier, Aria chose to sit with me instead of in the front with her mother. I was so glad Aria had accepted me, because when we first met I thought she wouldn't. She didn't treat me or any of her parents differently since finding out I may be her sister, which made me happy. I didn't want to come barging into peoples' lives, ruining their relationships.

Over the past week that we had been in the hospital, I had noticed Ella looking at me a lot. Not in a rude way. I felt like she was reading me like a book, scanning every feature she could. maybe she was having second thoughts on whether we were blood rated, but then wouldn't she know if I had grown inside of her body for the good part of a year? I can answer that. She probably would. When we spoke, she would ask or talk about certain subjects to find out all about me and who I was. From her voice to the way she strung her sentences together, you could tell she was a teacher. Everything she said seemed to make perfect sense and she would hardly ever ramble. She'd get strait to the point without using the word 'like' or something similar in every other sentence.

"So Nancy, are you feeling ready for school? I could find some online schooling or we could sign you up at Rosewood high if you're not ready to go back to Cornwall?" Ella asked my from the front of the vehicle. I loved the was she said Cornwall, as I have never heard an American say the word before. We've had Tourists back in St Ives, but they usually just tried to pronounce the small towns rather than the big place.

"I'll be ready for school when the other girls go back, if that's okay. I don't really think my parents will want to see me." I paused before I said parents, trying to find a suitable alternative before the silence became awkward, but I couldn't. I could tell that Aria and Ella noticed my hesitation.

"You can stay at ours as long as you want, but you'll have to give your parents a call and tell them your plans. On the subject of school, you'll be in the same grade as Mike and I teach English at Rosewood high, which I'm guessing you already know." Ella told me. The reason she had been asking me so many questions since we first met is probably because I know so much about her but she know is nothing about me. When she first started asking me some questions, I assured her that she could ask anything she wanted. When not knowing someone for a long time, people tend to ask indirect questions and not want to ask anything that could slightly offend the person they're talking to, unless you're an interviewer.

We stopped off as a little shop in Rosewood. As Ella left the car to quickly buy some milk, you could see she was scared about leaving us alone. She made sure to lock the door and turned to look at us through the shop's huge windows every few seconds.

"Don't say I'm not the only one who's noticed my Mom examining you every spare moment she has?" Aria burst out when her mother was far enough for her not to hear us. We locked eyes and pulled a very similar face. It was the sort of face is expect siblings to pull after getting their parents to believe a huge lie, although the wasn't a lie. Growing up as an only child, this was the first time I'd had a moment like this.

"Being Ella's examinee, I have also noticed the looks I've been getting. I feel like I'm being critiqued." I said, not quite laughing but with laughter in my voice.

"She critiques paintings a lot. She used to critique paintings a lot. She used to work at an art gallery. I don't know why I'm telling you this, because I'm pretty sure Charles told you everything." I have an embarrassed shrug, as it was quite weird knowing everything about someone. "I'm pretty sure we're thinking she's analysing you for the same reasons?" Aria asked, knowing she didn't need a reply.

"Do you think she sees any resemblance?" I stupidly asked, as we clearly both knew the answer.

"Nancy, we look alike AND act alike. How could she see no resemblance. Like Hanna said in the dollhouse, we could easily pass as twins." Hanna stated. We were then interrupted by Ella opening the car door again.

"Got the milk," she said, seeming over excited about a carton of semi-skimmed milk. "We'll be home in about 5 minutes if the traffic lights aren't on red."