Chapter 44

"I really don't think you're my daughter, Nancy." Byron said as soon as we had all taken a seat. "Admittedly, you, Aria, and Mike do look very alike appearance wise, but it is probably just a big coincidence."

"Right." I said bluntly. You could tell that Byron spoke a lot with his job, as he didn't show any sympathy towards me while he told me something that could have crushed my world. Luckily for me, I didn't believe the man who may well be my father. I don't have a particularly bad temper, but I couldn't stand the fact I wasn't rebelling against what Byron was saying. There was no point starting a huge argument, as I already knew Byron was the kind to have strong opinions and not easily change his mind. Although he wasn't certain, I was sure nothing I said would persuade him.

"Byron, I don't think you're being fair. I can say, hand on heart, that Nancy is rated to at least one of us. I don't even have to list the reasons why, because when you haven't been avoiding her, I'm sure you will have seen similarities." Ella argued. Even when annoyed, Ella remained her calm, laid back self. She didn't stand up or use any angry hand gestures. She just continued to sit back in her comfy chair.

"I have things to be doing." Byron said while leaving the room to avoid arguments with his ex-wife. Ella sighed, but none of us could be bothered to cause a fuss.

"I apologise for him." Ella said said with yet another sly. "He's usually nice. Try not to judge him on first impressions forever. Although we're no longer together, we're not enemies and Mike and Aria love their father."

"I won't do, but I think I will always prefer you." I said, smiling at Ella on the seat in front of me. Ella returned the smile before rising from her slouched position.

"I better go and get some food ready, as everyone will be coming home hungry soon." Ella explained as she walked towards the kitchen. I wasn't yet hungry, but loved Ella's cooking and was looking forward to eating.

"I'm home!" Mike shouted after he slammed the big front door. He slowly walked towards me while looking down at his phone screen. When he got to where I was, he locked the iPhone and put it in his back pocket. "Will you help me look for my passport in the study? I need some sort of ID for this sports thing, no idea why, but please Nancy?"

"Sure." I answered.

We searched through a few boxes with no look. There were multiple birthday cards from great aunts from years ago, but no sign of any ID.

"Hey look, I found my birth certificate." Mike said.

"Michael." I smirked while reading the information on the paper from over Mike's shoulder.

"I think this one's Aria's" Mike said, picking up a similar sheet.

"Nancy Sophia Montgomery." I read out loud.