Chapter 70

I couldn't sleep that night. I lay awake in the early hours of the morning just processing and thinking about how the people who trapped me and the other girls and tortured us had finally been caught. I was obviously relieved, but I couldn't help but wish it had been other people. In my head I had pictured a pair of middle aged paedophiles who looked like walking mugshots. It was stereotypical, but stereotypical would have been easier to take in than that fact that two young women, that weren't much older then myself, we're capable of such inhumane things. Also, the fact that Charlotte Dilaurentis is Alison's sister and that Sara Harvey is probably Isaac's cousin. I wish it could have all been simpler, but then what is simple in my life? Nothing makes sense anymore.

I didn't know what time I finally fell asleep, but the bags under my eyes when I woke up proved that it had probably past 3am. School was the last place I felt like going, but I didn't want to be sort of person to avoid civilisation just because something bad has happened in their life.

After the third coat or concealer, I gave up on trying to cover the dark bluey-grey patches underneath my eyes. My lack of effort with my hair, outfit, and makeup would probably warn everyone I came into contact with that I was going to give 1% effort into the majority of things I do today. I finished my concealer, but didn't want to coat my face in foundation. I wore a bit of mascara so I looked alive, brushed out my wavy brown hair, pulled on the first pair of jeans I could find and picked out a hoody that was 3 sizes too big for me. If the emotion I felt when I finished the last episode of Friends was a person, it would have been me.

The three of us were ready to leave in time to get a ride to school from Byron on his way to work. I sat in the back with Mike while Aria sat in the passenger seat. We were only in the car for 5 minutes before the car slowed and stopped outside of school.

Mike walked towards his friends, Aria walked towards her friends, and I thought I would be left looking like a loner until the bell rang, but luckily Mona saw me and walked quickly towards me.

"Did you hear about who the -A person is?" I asked.

"My Mom told my this morning. It's weird to think that it's finally over," Mona answered. "I don't know if things will ever be back to normal, though."

"I've never really had a normal in Rosewood, so maybe I'll find out what it's like to live in a normal American town." Me and Mona were now slowly walking towards the building.

"I hope if we get our normal, I'm part of your normal." Both Mona's comment and smile made me feel a little bit better. Her smile was so beautiful, and I think it could instantly cheer up anyone.

"You will definitely be part of my normal, Mona Vanderwaal." I was lucky to have some positive outcomes from the horrible things that had happened to me. It felt weird to be grateful to what some people would have described as 'hell', but without my 'hell' I never would have been reunited with my birth parents, I would have never met Mona and Aria's best friends. I would still be the ordinary girl sitting on an ordinary beach, using small rocks to hold down my pieces of paper while I drew or painted.

"Nancy!" I heard a familiar voice from behind me, causing me to instantly turn round at our a face to the voice. Isaac was jogging towards me.

"I think this is where I'll leave." Mona said, giving another big smile before entering the school building.

"Hey." I said to the boy once he had finally caught up with me.

"I asked my dad about Sara Harvey, and it was her," Isaac started to explain. "We were close when we were little, but when we were about 10 we drifted. We got to the phase where it was like a crime to me friends with someone from the opposite gender, and we stopped playing together. Anyway, I never really knew that she had been missing for so long. My dad and her Mom weren't close, so we never really had a reason to see Sara and my aunt. I'm probably rambling, which is probably because I'm worried that you won't want to have anything to do with me. What I'm trying to say is that yes, I am related to Sara. No, I didn't know what she was doing. If you don't want to hang out with me anymore I understand."

I took a few moments to take it all in before answering.

"I'm not going to lie to you, it is slighly weird that I like the cousin of someone who helped to torture me, but you and Vanessa are the only people who I've met in school and not either in a human dollhouse or because you're part of my biological family, so I'm keeping you." I replied. Was it worth giving up Isaac just because of his family? I think not. If Aria was still friends with Alison, why should I treat Isaac any differently?

"You just said you liked me." Isaac was grinning and looked like a hyena,

"Oh, shut up. We were being all cute and deep and you ruined it." I said, avoiding talking about liking him. Luckily, I was saved by the bell. I made my way towards homeroom.

The first person I saw when I walked through the doorway into the classroom was Vanessa. She smiled as I took a seat next to her at the desk.

"What was it like knowing about me before you met me?" I asked Vanessa, not even greeting her with a 'hello' or a 'Hi'.

"Well, I knew of you but I didn't really know you. I don't want this to sound rude, but the photo I had seen of you was from you had just escaped from the ... Place." Vanessa  Began to explain. I was glad she was so honest with me, and I had made a mental note that Vanessa would be the person I would be asking if my hair was greasy or if I had spinach in my teeth after lunch. "There wasn't really anything in the photo that showed personality. You had simple clothes, messy hair, and no makeup. When I saw you for the first time in person I could take a guess on what you were going to be like from how you chose to look. Am I making sense?"

"You're making perfect sense. I'm so lucky to be friends with you." It suprised both of us when I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a hug. This morning, I was prepared to have the worst day ever. Three people who I wouldn't know without having been catfished and kidnapped have managed to make me smile and feel better.