Chapter 68

A week had passed since I found out the truth about how I ended up seperated from my family. The week had been unexpectedly normal, well, normal for Rosewood. Aria had met up with Ezra at the brew, which we hadn't mentioned to Byron. Keeping up my side of me and Aria's deal, I had met up with Isaac Harvey. It wasn't exactly a date, as all we did was buy food together after staying late at school to finish some artwork. I sound like such an art nerd, but it was fun.

"So, are there any artists you really like?" I asked Isaac between munching mouthfuls of fries. I was trying to make conversation and be polite rather than just sit here stuffing fast food into my mouth without saying a word.

"I don't really have an artist that inspired me," Isaac began to explain. "It sounds unprofessional, but I'm not really inspired by anything. I just paint and draw what I'm good at and like doing."

"I'm actually the same, I only really asked to avoid spending the entire time we have together sitting in silence." As I admitted this, a small uneasy laugh escaped my mouth, which just made me look even more awkward.

Me and Isaac talked for a while. It was nice talking to people other than my family and the people I was locked underground with. Being around Vanessa or Isaac made me feel like a normal teenage girl for the first time in so long.

"Hey, look at this meme." Isaac said, snapping me out of my daydream.

I couldn't help but laugh at the shrek meme on his iPhone screen. I used to have an irrational fear of shrek, and I was terrified when I discovered my ballet teacher looked like shrek when I was 5 years old. Let's just say I didn't make it through the second lesson of ballet. It's been 11 years since then and I have now learnt to laugh at shrek instead of hiding when I saw his green face on my television screen.

"I should get going." I told Isaac after scrolling through a few funny accounts on Instagram together.

"I walk past your house to get tk my house, so I'll join you." He replied, grabbing his bag and skateboard before following me out of the restraunt.

It was cold outside of the restraunt. In the daytime it hadn't been hot, but it hasn't been cold enough to bring a thick coat. Now, I was half regretting not bringing a warmer jacket or a big scarf to warm me up a tiny bit. I tried to ignore the dropping temperature and look around. I hadn't seen the slighly busier part of rosewood past dusk and all the lights looked really pretty. I pulled my phone from the back pocket of my jeans and took a quick photo of the town.

"Why are you carrying your skateboard?" I asked Isaac who had his skateboard swinging from his right hand, which defeated the point of having a board on wheels.

"Because I'm walking with you." He replied with a cheesy grin."

"How do you even ride a skateboard anyway?"

"Have a go." Isaac dropped his skateboard so that it landed infront of our feet.

"I can't, I'll fall and die." I replied bluntly, crossing my arms."

"You're the strongest and bravest person I know, but you're too scared I stand on a piece of wood on wheels?" I felt a warm, happy feeling hearing a compliment that was so personal to me. It was nice to be around people who knew all about what has happened to me over the last few months and still treats me like a normal person.

"Fine!" I said with an exaggerated sigh. I stepped on the skateboard, despite the fact that I would probably go flying through the air and fall flat on my face on the ground in a few seconds.

"See, you're doing it." Isaac cheered.

"Are you joking? I'm standing here, unable to move, and you think I am skateboarding."

"Try and move, then."

I put my right foot down and slowly pushed. I was guessing I looked like a baby trying to walk, only worse. I'm pretty sure a one-year-old baby could skateboard better than me.

"Pretty sure I'm getting a gold medal in the olympics for skateboarding." I said, my voice practically dripping with sarcasm. I wasn't an overly sarcastic person, but for some reason I was too sarcastic to function when I was feeling uncomfortable. Naturally I was feeling uncomfortable standing on a plank with wheels, waiting for the moment when I fall and die.

After 2 minutes - to nobody's suprise - I lost my balance and fell back. Luckily for me, Isaac caught me and saved my life.

"I'm going to stick with using my legs from now on." I told him. Isaac nodded, still laughing at how I managed to fall while traveling at 0.002 MPH.

We were walking fast to keep warm, so five minutes later we were outside my house.

"I've had a lot of fun tonight." I said to Isaac as we reached the gate to my house.

"So did I." He replied. Then, from nowhere, he gave me a kiss in the cheek. Before I had time to react he was skateboarding off in the other direction.

I walked up the path to the front door with a smile on my face. I was really happy with how my evening turned out. I may have made a deal with Aria and been forced to go out with Isaac, but I enjoyed myself and would be happy to have gone out by choice.

As I unlocked the door, Aria was sat on the sofa with Ella. They both looked part sacred and part in shock.

"What have I missed?" I asked. You could hear the uneasy tone in my voice.

"The police called," Ella replied. "And they know who -A is."