Chapter 66

School had ended. Ella had gone on a Byron hunt and we had forgotten to take the house key home with us, so we were setting up camp in the brew. Aria ordered two strawberry and banana smoothies and a glass of water. If we had got hot drinks, they would have cooled down fast. We needed a drink that would last a long time so that we didn't look like we were just chilling in the cafe because we left our key in the house. While Aria ordered, me and Mike sat in my favourite corner seat. I liked this corner, because it had cushioned seats and a larger table. It also had fairy lights strung around, as the former had no windows to let in natural light. I wasn't the only sister who liked this corner. Aria told me about how she was the one who decided to put the fairy lights up in the far corner. Ezra wanted to get another ceiling light fitter, but Aria ended up getting her way.

Once I was sat down, I pulled my orange lever arch folder out of my school bag, along with a medium sized sketch book and a set of drawing pencils. I had my eye on a small cactus that was siting on a nearby shelf, and I planned on having a 2D copy of the plant on my paper soon.

"I know you do art and PE, but what other classes are you taking?" Mike asked, looking up from his phone. His eyes had been glued to his screen since we left school, as per usual.

"I took art, PE, drama, and history." I replied to my brother.

"Are you auditioning for the school play?" Mike asked.

"No." I answered, bluntly.

"Why?" Mike asked. I swear, all this boy did was ask me questions.

"This is not high school musical, and I don't seem the play type." I answered what seemed like the 100th question.

"I think you'd be good, but it's your choise." Mike shrugged his shoulder and went back to focusing on his iPhone. I quickly sketched the outline of the cactus I was going to draw as Aria walked over with the drinks. I saw that she had also bought a couple of raspberry muffins, which I loved.

The three of us sat in silence for a while. Mike was texting, I was drawing, and Aria seemed to be struggling on a few maths questions. It wasn't complete silence, though. There was the sound of people chattering from other tables; the sound of the old fashioned cash register popping open whenever anybody purchased something to eat or drink; the sound of the little brass bell that stood above the doorway and chimed whenever a costumer left or entered the brew; the sound of the Ed Sheeran CD that was playing on a loop through the cafe's speakers.

"I'm going to go over to Mona's for a while." Mike said, standing up and grabbing his bag.

"Don't make any babies." I called to my twin brother as he walked towards the door. He turned around to pull a tongue before disappearing. By this time, I had finished my little drawing of a little spikey plant. It wasn't my best effort, but it was quite cute.

"How's your boyfriend?" I asked, purposely trying to annoy Aria. Ezra was wiping down a table at the other side of the cafe.

"I think it's your boyfriend we should be talking about," Aria managed to turn the conversation around and make it about me. "How's Isaac Harvey doing? I can tell just by looking at you that you like him."

"Shut up I do not." I lightly hit Aria before turning to pack up my papers. I did this partly because my cheeks were blushing ever so slightly, and partially because the table was covered in my mess.

"You pretty little liar." Aria managed to both mock and compliment me at once. "You should hang out with him."

"Stop trying to be Cupid, Aria. I'll only meet up with Isaac if you go and spent time with YOUR Ezzie bae." I didn't lower my voice when saying the cringey nickname I had made up for Ezra. The sole purpose for this nickname was to embarrass Aria, and it seemed to be working."

"Deal" Aria replied. I hadn't expected this outcome, but looking back I should have. Aria took the chance to spent time with the man she loved while getting me to make a fool of myself.