Chapter 57

We returned home with 3 full bags of shopping. It looked like I had bought the most, as I had two bags and Aria had one, but my sister had liked my outfit choices so much that she had said she would borrow at least 80% of them. I had also bought a new school bag while I was out. It was a big, mustard coloured tote bag. I loved my bag, but it meant I would only be able to wear my mustard coloured cardigan at the weekends if I didn't want to look like a real life jar of mustard.

As soon as I got through the front door I went upstairs to unpack my bags. I didn't want to do the usual Nancy thing of procrastinating and leaving the bags full in the corner of my room for a week before touching them. As my new bedroom was a spare bedroom and didn't have a wardrobe, I was currently using a metal clothes rail on wheels to hang my clothes. I was happy with my makeshift wardrobe and was so grateful to even have my own room. I loved sharing with Aria, as it made me feel safer after being trapped alone underground, but I was a lot less scared now. Once I was more comfortable with everyday life, the scariest thing at night was my sister's snoring.

"Hey," I turned round to see Mike leaning in my doorway. "So Mom says you're coming to school next week."

"Yeah. I thought I was done with high school, but turns out in America I'm stuck in it for another two years." I said with a shrug.

"So are you going to be that girl who hangs around with all the seniors? I mean, I'm the only one in our grade that you know, and your pretty good friends with all of Aria's group and Mona." Mike asked, being the nosy twin brother I recently found out he was.

"I'm sure I'll make some friends. It'll be good knowing some older girls so I don't end up a complete loner." I laughed, but I was serious. I wasn't popular in my last school, so wouldn't be surprised if my only friends were my siblings' friends.

"You won't be a loner, Nance." Mike said, suddenly acting serious. "I love you, and even if we weren't brother and sister, I'd definitely want to be your friend. You're beautiful, funny, kind, artistic."

"That was beyond cheesey," I said, which made Mike blush. "But it was probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. A year ago, I knew nothing about you. I hate the fact that I could have very easily never known about you, Aria, Mum, or Dad."

"She is called Mom. This is America, Nancy." Mike said, completely ruining our cute family bonding moment that could have easily been a soppy scene in a Disney movie.

"I will call my mother whatever I want. Your opinion is irrelevant." I said with my chin up for dramatic effect.

"Okay, whatever you say." Mike said before coming and lying on my bed, creasing the near duvet I had put effort into making neat. "Are you any good at sports? Sports teams are a good way to meet new people."

"I can run, and I swim a little. Are there any teams or clubs for that?" I asked. I had always been good at running, and would often go and swim in the sea. The water was so cold, that I would have do swim fast just to keep warm.

"Forget the classic American high school with football and cheerleaders. Well don't forget that, because we have that, but Rosewood high school has a swim team that Is probably a bigger deal. Emily used to be on the team, you should ask her about it." Mike said.

"If it's a big deal, I probably wouldn't be good enough for the team." I admitted.

"Well you run, right?" Mike asked.

"Yes. I literally told you that less that a minute ago, you goldfish." I deserved an award for insults.

"Get some running stuff on and we'll go running now." Mike said, bouncing up off of my bed and heading to the door.

I changed into a grey and black pair of running leggings with a matching vest top. I only had one pair of trainers, so I slipped into my dark purple new balance. I threw my hair into a bun and went to wait for my brother outside my bedroom.

"Race you downstairs." Mike said, swinging his door right open without any warning and heading to the stairs.

I was down the entire flight of stairs in two seconds, but was stopped before I could get to the front door.

"Could you two come into the dining room? Me and your mother need to talk to you." Byron asked, then walked with us into the room Ella was sitting in.