Chapter 49

I woke up heavily breathing, panicking. The sound of Ella's alarm clock brought back memories from the deafening siren from the underground bunker I spent a fraction of my life in. Although my phone said it was ten o'clock, it felt like five o'clock because of the role difference. We had two hours before we met with me adoptive parents at midday. About half an hour would be spent traveling, so we had an hour and a half to get up, dressed, and ready. After me and Aria had calmed down after our mini panic, we spent at least fifteen minutes just lying in bed and accepting the fact it was the morning.

Once I finally got up, I chose an outfit to wear from my suitcase. I wore a black long sleeved playsuit with a floral pattern. I borrowed a pair of Aria's black military style boots to go with it. I crossed my fingers that she wasn't planning on wearing this pair today, as 75% of her case was boots and shoes. If she really wanted them, she should have got out of bed sooner.

"Do you like my boots?" I asked Aria while awkwardly raising my leg to show her her own boot. She lifted her head and squinted to look at what I was wearing.

"Excuse me, but I am pretty sure they're mine." Aria replied, kicking her legs off the side of her bed to get up. She needed to get up before I stole any more of her beautiful boots. After pulling a tongue at Aria, I went to the mirror to do my makeup. I did my everyday face coverage, a nude lipstick, filled in my eyebrows, and once again did my usual eyeliner and mascara. The only difference between my makeup looks was usually my lip colour or how strong my contour is. Maybe the odd bit of eyeshadow here and there.

Once everyone was near enough ready, apart from Aria who was fastening yet another pair of boots, Byron burst in. He was certainly making the most of the spare key he had to our room.

"I've got a little timetable of what's going to happen today." Byron said, looking down at the sheet of paper S he walked in. It was obvious he was stressed and nervous. Byron obviously dealt with stress by being over organised. I was the the complete opposite. When I'm stressed, I could win a gold medal in procrastinating.

Fifteen minutes later, everyone was ready and we were in a taxi. As we wouldn't all fit in your average car, the taxi was a people carrier style car. In the front was Byron and be taxi driver, at the back was Aria and Ella, and me and mike were sat in the two middle seats. Byron, obviously still stressed, was trying his best to be organised and give directions to the taxi driver who obviously knew his way. I didn't know it was possible to mispronounce so many road names in such little time.

It was 11:50 when we pulled up outside of the more than familiar cottage I had spent around sixteen years of my life in. I was the last person to leave the vehicle, as I was hoping I could try and hide behind Mike. One of the few perks of being small and skinny. Unfortunately, I saw the front door of the house open and I was spotted immediately. It wasn't surprising, as there were only five of us, but it was the moment I had been dreading. My body was flooded with feelings of guilt, making me want to curl up into a ball and hide from the entire world. I wasn't the most outgoing person, but I had never felt so shy. Especially around the people I knew the most in the whole world.