Chapter 58

//please read this one. It's important! Okay, so this story isn't going to go on forever, even though it's incredibly long and seems like it is. I was thinking of writing a sort of sequel after the time jump. Please Comment if you'd like my to write another story including Nancy after the time jump in January. Also, does anyone have any ideas on how Nancy ended up getting adopted? Comment that too. Thank you for all the reads this story has got.//

Me and my twin brother sat across the table from from our parents in the dining room. I hadn't really been in this room yet, as we only really ate at the smaller table that was located in the kitchen.

"We don't want to give you high expectations from us making a big deal over this." Ella began to explain before her ex-husband took over.

"I've called the hospital you were both born at, and have contacted places I can get birth records. Hopefully we get some news Sooners rather than later. I want to let you both know that I do care about you, Nancy, being part of the family. I wasn't very welcoming at first, and I am trying my hardest to gain your trust. Obviously, this will never be a typical happy family, as me and Ella are no longer together and everything we've all been through, but I want you to know that I accept you as my daughter. You're as much my daughter as Aria, for example." Byron told us.

"So Meredith not the first then." Ella muttered.

"What?" Byron asked defensively.

"Nothing." Ella replied. It was funny seeing two fully grown adults act like 11 year old girls.

"Ella, if you're implying that I had an affair and have children with another woman, you are wrong." Byron clearly didn't get the sarcasm in Ella's voice. At least I now know where I got my sarcasm from.

"Well that's our que to leave." Mike said, using their argument as an excuse to grab my arm and drag me out of the room. It would have been entertaining to sit and listen to them bicker over extremely unimportant things, but it would have got awkward fast. I'm glad my brother dragged me out of the room by my wrist, even if I felt like I had almost dislocated my shoulder.

"So, are you still up for that running race?" I asked as I did some very over exaggerated stretches. I made sure to swing my arm as much as possible while I stretched them over my head, and then again with the other arm.

"Well obviously. Can't you see I'm all prepared?" Mike said, showing me his tacky, plastic power rangers water bottle.

"Oh god." I said, face palming at the choice of bottle.

"I've had it since I was, like, nine." Mike argued. It was a harmless comment, but it hit a nerve. I wished I had been given a tacky, plastic hello kitty or a Disney princess water bottle back when I was nine years old by my parents. I didn't like feeling sorry for myself, but nine year old Nancy would have been happy with a friend or two, let alone an amazing twin brother and a fabulous older sister. I grabbed the bottle of smart water I had left on the coffee table and headed for the door before I could let myself get any more wound up by my imagination.

Half an hour later we returned home. Our skin was sticky and hot from all running we had been doing, and our water bottles had been drained. I didn't usually get this sweaty from going on a run, but I'm not usually having an intense race with someone who is either equally better or a little bit better than I am at running.

"What have I missed." Aria said as she walked into the room, a puzzled look on her face.

"We had a running race, and I won." I told Aria. I probably had an ugly smug grin on my face, but I had a good enough reason.

"I won!" Mike tried to argue.

"Don't lie." I said, spinning round to give my brother a death stare.

"I was beaten by a girl!" Mike admitted, putting his hands up by his head. He rolled his eyes at me before going upstairs.