Chapter 37

My options included either speaking my mind or trying to avoid everything by hanging up. Every bone in my body was telling my thumb to tap the red circle on the bottom of my iPhone screen, but I resisted. The old me was a complete and utter push over who would let anyone walk over me and back out of any argument or scary situation. Yes, I was scared of the person I had called my mother for 16 years, but I was ready to stand up for myself.

"No," I spoke loudly into the phone. Just one word could be so powerful, and I could tell she would be mad "I'm staying in Rosewood and what can you do about it? You can't just shout or hit me, because I happen to be thousands of miles away from you. I am sixteen years of age and can legally live away. People live away for college and university, and I'm living away for a real family!"

There was a long pause before I heard a reply.

"We are your real family. Who do you think has loved and cared for you for the last sixteen years? Not a bunch of people in little American town, I can say for sure." My adoptive mother said with anger in her voice. I could tell she was close to her breaking point when her voice got like this.

"I'm sorry." I said bluntly into the device before hanging up. She was right about having loved and cared for me, but I wasn't leaving here without getting to know the Montgomery's. I felt sorry for my family back when I was Nancy James. I made them seem horrendous, but they did love me. They may not have shown it like every set of parents would, but I always knew I was loved.

I went back into the room where I could hear the rest of the girls talking. I was still slightly paranoids that they were bothered by having some random girl who was two years younger than them tag around, but if they were bothered they weren't letting it show. I tried my best to be likeable.

"Everyone else seems to know you so well, Nancy. I wasn't there when you all met. Would you mind telling me more about you? It's fine if it's a touchy subject or something." Alison asked me. She looked worried, as if she was asking me a very risky question instead of a perfectly normal question.

I told Alison everything. From what my life was like in Cornwall, to snag my favourite food was. I included the obvious things that I presume everyone already knew and I added some random facts I don't think any of the girls knew yet to make everything flow nicely. It felt so nice to be able to talk until my jaw was sore with people actually taking in what I say. For a while, I forgot to be self conscious and slightly paranoid.

I walked through the double doors and into another room. I could still hear quiet chattering from the room next door, but it was nowhere near loud enough to stop me from hearing my phone. I dialled the number, and four rings later someone on the other end answered.

"you're coming back home. You don't belong with a bunch of strangers in a stupid little town halfway across the world!" I heard a familiar female voice snap at me, and it felt like it had been 3 months ago.

After my hundred page life story, Emily, Alison, Hanna, and Spencer told me more about themselves. I learn about their families, likes, dislikes, music taste, and boyfriends/girlfriends.

"Did you have any hot English boys in England?" Hanna asked. She glanced over and saw Spencer's reaction the to question and burst into a fit of laughter. I had recently learnt about a certain someone called Wren, so understood why Hanna was suddenly cackling.

"I've never had a boyfriend or many friends. It's not a sob story of anything like that, there hair weren't many people my age where I lived. Out of the few people in my small school, even fewer didn't wear crocs or walking boots. I don't really see me and a boy with a pair or green crocs as a couple." I said, laughing at the though of me and a weird boy from my old science class holding hands. Although we had a school uniform, I had seen him at the supermarket more than once with brightly coloured crocs and Mario t-shirts.

It was so nice being in a room full of laughter. It was crazy to think that less than two months ago we were enduring the most depressing stage of our lives.

I felt my phone rumble on my thigh and after reading the text I had received, my smile faded away. It read:

"I'm booking return tickets either from England to America or from America to England."

Either way, it was a return. My smile made it's way back to my face knowing I might be allowed to stay, but I would either have to revisit Cornwall or my adoptive parents visit here.