29- Prove your worth to me

The boy's eyes burn passionately with hatred.

Yes those eyes are what I was looking for!

No matter how many people you may have fooled, there are bound to be those who see through your pretense. The ones whose faith you exploit under the garb of holiness, never underestimate them, for nothing is stronger than rage of a betrayed heart.

"No one gives me work, they all call me a son of a whore and look down on me... And they are the same ones who visit my mother's brothel at night! I think that they are all hypocrites...they pretend to be pure and point fingers at us, but are they really all that sinless?" He says.

I'm surprised at his words. Such a young boy speaks so much truth...?

"I don't remember the last time I had a full meal...My mother is so sick and I don't even have money to buy medicine! My father-no that bastard, who promised to marry my mother, took all her savings and ran away! But my poor mother still believes that he would come back...she still loves him" he eyes water up.

I understand where this is going...She must have been extremely desperate and desperate people are always easy to scam!

"In her despair, She went to pray at the church and those priests promised to hold a ritual to win back my his affection if she could pay them enough money. And she did, she worked all day and night to pay them and ended up falling sick but they never did anything. Its all lies and games, they just want the money! And when I finally confront them, they publicly humiliated me calling my mother unholy and dirty! They said that who will marry my mother when she sells her body like this! And after that no one gives me work, they even throw stones and beat me up. They have completely shunned us out!"

He breaks down unable to control himself anymore...

"How old are you Alan?" I ask.

"I turned 13 this month" he answers wiping his tears away, ashamed of looking so weak.

I can't help but feel bad for him...

He is so young but the world has broken him so bad...

How hard it must have been for him! At the age where you must play and study, he has to face such things!!

"I don't want to steal as well...It's just that I've no choice! Even my mother...she does this work because she has no other choice!" He says lowering his head in shame.

"Raise your head Alan. You have tried your best to protect your mother, instead of running away like your father! And that is truly admirable...!" I smile at him.

He looks up at me with surprise.

"It's not that you are wrong, it's how this world works. And no work is bad work,if done well" I say.

"What do you mean?" He is very surprised.

"What I mean is that, you don't have to be ashamed of yourself. Whatever you said is absolutely correct, it's just that your method is wrong. Shouting at people like you did back in the gambling house won't work. If you really want to defeat the church then..." I stand up

"Then?"

"Work with me"

I strech out my hand in front of him.

Alan is completely dumbfounded by my words.

"Pardon? Work with you?? But like how?"

"It's completely up to you if you want to or not. But the truth is, the reason why I helped you and also the reason why I approached you today is that..."

"I want to bring the church down"

"Huh?" He gasps in surprise.

"Yes, It's no use hiding what my family does. I know the work we do is not all that clean and it's no secret too. But the fact is that the holy church made an enemy of us, and since they have the public on their sides and maybe the imperial family may end up getting on their side too! It will become very easy for them to bring us down and that is what I don't want." I explain.

"I see" he says still very surprised.

"I'll pay for your mother's medicine and promise to take care of your needs. In turn you must pledge your loyalty to me"  I smile.

Alan seems to hesitate but he ends up taking my hand.

"I will. I will do whatever you ask, Milady! I still cannot believe that someone would accept me and that too someone like you!!" He says tearing up again.

"If you have already decided then..." I smile

"I need you to prove your worth to me"