56- Broken Trust

Events of the original novel

She walks inside his room, drunk, with a bottle in her hand.

He laid on his bed, reading a book. When he saw her, he sat up.

"Caroline....What happened? Weren't you at the imperial ball?" He asks.

"That man...He betrayed me..." She says before gulping down the alcohol.

He gets up from his bed, and walks towards her.

Then taking off his overcoat, he placed it on her shoulders.

"It's chilly outside, yor are gonna catch a cold".

"Hahaha..." She laughs aloud.

"You think I'm miserable too right?"

"What are you talking about Carrie? Did something happen at the imperial ball? What did that bastard do to you!?" He asks turning her body towards his by the shoulders.

Darkness falls over her face as she grows silent.

"Carrie!?" He shakes her body by the shoulders, "Tell me who betrayed you? Tell me who dared to hurt you? I'll destroy them with my own hands..."

Rage burns his whole mind to see his beloved hurt like this.

Never in his life, did he see her making that kind of a face.

She looked like she had lost her mind. Her eyes reflected a strange insanity, one that he had never seen before. They looked like they were trying so hard to process any reason that would make sense of this situation.

That Caroline Vorsack...The cold and cruel woman who's heart never wavers even the slightest...

That woman...calling herself miserable?

She brought the bottle to her mouth again and gulped down the liquor inside.

But he snatched the bottle away from her hands.

"You shouldn't be drinking anymore..." He says strictly

"Give it back!" She tries to take it away from him but stumbles down on her feet.

"Please don't drink anymore Carrie...It's not good for your health..." His voice tones down to that of a request.

"Don't drink? Then how else am I supposed to forget this betrayal...this...humiliation?"

"Huh?"

Then pulling him by the collar, she looks into his eyes and says, "How else am I gonna forget how miserable I am!?"

"That man...I trusted him. Even if it was a political marriage, even if we were only using each other...I still trusted him. But he...he left me for another woman. He humiliated me in front of the high society, he..." Her hands tremble as they hold down tightly to his shirt.

"He made me realise how miserable I am..."

"What are you talking about? Weren't you supposed to get engaged to the crown prince today? Then what do you mean he left you for another woman!?" Eric asks shocked, holding the trembling hands that gripped down his collar.

"Yes, he left me for the pure nun with strong faith in god, who unlike me is a better woman! I mean she has everything that I don't. I am an immoral woman afterall! I am sinful, I am corrupted, I am selfish...I...I know that very well"

"Who cares if you are like that? Caroline you know I love you just the way you are!"

"Then..." She touches his face with her slender hands, "Take revenge for me."