70- Sides

"Contact the secret society immediately. I want to talk to them right this evening" she says before laying back down on her bed.

Her voice was tired and devoid of any hope.

Nine couldn't help but feel his heart ache tightly at her pain.

Reaching out his hands towards her black hair, he stroked her head gently.

"It will all be fine...Trust me" He said.

Her eyes watered at those words.

As she desperately needed to hear them.

"It will all be fine" Nine repeats it like a promise.

And for him those were not empty words as deep inside he would really do anything and everything to make things alright for her.

It was unbearable to watch her in this state anymore.

Nine balled up his fist and resolve.

When he found that Caroline had fallen asleep while crying, he got up from his chair and covered her with the blanket.

"Don't worry Caroline... I'll make things alright" he said.

Before vanishing into thin air.

The secret society already had a scheduled a meeting on that afternoon because of the likely war that was about to take place.

Which made things easier for Nine.

As one of the strongest members of the secret society, he held a lot of power with his position.

He entered their headquarters where everyone was already present and seated at their respective places around the large table.

"May I know the reason you are late Nine?" The great leader asks.

"I had something to do" Nine replies, before taking his seat.

"What could be more important than our meeting? Especially when a war is about to take place?" A man with blonde hair questions.

"I would love to discuss that once the meeting starts, Three." Nine replies.

"Okay then what are we waiting for? Let's begin" Seven says.

"Very well" The great leader Zero starts, "As you all know, the Vorsacks have declared a war against the royal family"

"And since the Vorsacks have the largest army of black mages, it wouldn't be a joke to defeat them..." Three says.

"I think that is why the imperial family is using the church to brainwash young men into joining the army, that way they can increase their people count" Two says while putting her red colour on her lips from a shell.

"Cheap trick but smart, I must say" Six smirks.

"How is it smart? It's literally homicidal to send those young men to war! So many wives would lose their husbands and mother's their sons, have you even thought about that?" Seven shouts.

"Seven, they are people in power...What makes you think that they care of commoners live or die?" Six argues back.

"Both of you calm down. The great leader is present here how can you argue like children?" Three scolds them.

"Six, Seven, both of you are right. This is a smart move on their side but it's homicidal for the poor people. A true ruler's duty must be to protect his citizen not to exploit them for his own gains" Zero says.

"What if he has no plans of protecting anyone except a woman?" Nine asks.

Everyone turns towards Nine as he speaks for the first time.

"What do you mean by that?" Seven asks.

"If I can guess right then this idea
probably belongs to no other than Eric himself...And that man is not after power, wealth, status but after a woman"

"Don't tell me that this is..." Zero gasps.

"Yes, Eric Arguens is after the daughter of Vorsacks, Caroline Vorsack" Nine says.

Gasps of shock resound in the hall.

"I am sure the great leader has already informed you about everything that Lady Caroline had said to us that day. Eric Arguens is no god, he is a half blood. And he is a madman who would do anything to get Caroline" Nine says.

"How are we even supposed to trust that woman? Isn't she the daughter of a criminal herself? I feel like it's high time that the Vorsacks pay for their sins!" Eleven argues.

"I believe in her." Zero says.

"How? How can you though?" Six asks.

"Well, it is my decision whom I'll trust and whom I'll not. Anyone who doesn't like it can leave this society" Zero answers.

"Leader!??" Six shouts in shock.

"We may have different opinions...But we trust in your intellect, leader. Without your guidance we wouldn't be coming so far" Eleven bows his head.

Six quiets down as well.

Nine takes the opportunity and says...

"We need to place our trust in Lady Caroline. She has been fighting for too long and too hard. And if the war is inevitable then we would have to choose sides, and I think it would be wise to side with the Vorsacks here!"

But to his surprise, Zero says, "I am against it".

"Why? Why is that so!?" Nine asks.

"Have you forgotten our principles Nine? War should be avoided at all cost! We should be trying our best to reveal the truth to people and protect their lives!" Zero says.

"But how do we do that Leader? At this point I don't believe that it's possible..." Two says.

"We must find a way...And we will! We always have! My people! I request you all to turn towards the light at the end of the tunnel!" Zero says.

"But leader...if we eventually have to take sides then..." Seven asks.

"Then it is very obvious..."

"We would be siding with Lady Caroline!" Zero announces.

Those words lighten up Nine's face.

Taking the opportunity, he continues, "I was at the Vorsacks manor this morning. Lady Caroline is...she is not well. All of this has broken her completely...and that is why I want to request you to come with me and visit her! If she's aware that we are supporting her, she would feel better!"

"Hmm we can do that but Nine..." Two pauses.

"What is it?"

"Are we really going up against that Eric Arguens...? I mean don't get me wrong I support the leader's decision always but siding with the Vorsacks would mean going up against the kingdoms of Rivans and Karlos!? Have you seriously forgotten that?"

"You are wrong, Two" Zero says.

"How exactly? No matter how strong the Vorsacks are they will definitely be overpowered if they are up against two empires and siding with them is suicidal!" Two says.

"There won't be a war, that is what we are here for! We are not going up against anyone else except..."

"Eric Arguens" Zero narrows his blue eyes.

"We need to find a way to stop him before he destroys it all. Especially now that he's teamed up with the other half blooded witch Sophia! I'm sure this is what she wants! It is that we humans destroy each other so it's easier to bring the elf rule back!"

"You are right...We can't let that happen in anyways! But how do we stop Eric Arguens...? If he's really that dangerous as you claim him to be then how can we defeat him??" Eleven asks.

"Well...For that we would need someone's help." Zero says.

"Leader don't tell me you..." Nine gasps.

"Yes, she's the only person in this world who can tame that beast..."

"It's Caroline Vorsack. The woman he is madly in love with" Zero says.