31- Marriage?

It was celebration time in the whole empire. The first heir to the Throne of the empire of Rivans, Rion Empera De Rivans, and the only daughter of the house of Duke Vorsack, Caroline Vorsack...

It was the joyous day of their  engagement.

But among the celebrations were voices filled with worry.

"The daughter of the Vorsacks? Caroline Vorsack???" A man in the crowd whispered.

"My god...You mean those feared criminals??" Another one said.

"Hey watch what you say...Or your tongue might be the one that gets cut next!"

"Look it's them!!! They are here!!"

The crowd cheered when The crown prince and his fiance appeared hand in hand in public.

Lady Caroline dressed in a beautiful purple gown with black laces and diamonds. Her wavy black hair was tied up into a loose bun with red roses on them.

His highness Rion wore a majestic navy blue suit with his favourite sword inside the sheathe on his side, with an extraordinary air surrounding him.

They truly looked perfect with each other as they walked side by side.

They were about to go to a resort for celebrating their engagement.

The crowd looked at them with fear and admiration.

But among them stood a woman with blonde hair and frightening blue eyes.

"How dare you..."

She bit her lip drawing blood.

"How dare you steal what's mine....!"

And yes I noticed her!

Her expression changes to that of fear when our eyes meet.

But I give her off a smile.

An all knowing smile.

It's funny to watch her reaction filled with fear and confusion.

Of course you must be so confused Sophia...

Just like I used to be when you and Eric played that dirty game behind my back!

I'm not going to forgive you for even thinking of harming me or my family!!

I'll show you, what I am capable of!

Rion and I are headed to a resort in the south. And I know it very well that Sophia is going to follow us there.

I am sure the news  must reach you quickly too, Eric. I'm just waiting for the right moment, when you find out...

I just want to look at your face!

How does it feel to get betrayed?

I want to see it!!

I want to watch you burn!

I get on the carriage with Rion, he looks really happy.

I get a little uncomfortable with our silence so I decide to finally speak up.

"You look like you're in a very good mood your highness" I say.

"Of course I am. Which man wouldn't be in a good mood on his engagement day?" He smiles again.

He's really so honest..! Sometimes I feel my face flush red all of a sudden, because of this honesty!

"I see." I try to play it cool and not show my awkwardness.

Engagement...

Marriage...

I never thought of things like that in my past life. I was too busy to even think about anything other than my work. I never thought of having a boyfriend because I was practically married to my work!

But in this life I gave those things a thought. Yes, it is a marriage of convenience. I'm marrying him for my goals, to protect my family and position.

I have no other choice for now. I do not want to be someone who is used by others in this life. If it means using other people then I will use them gladly!

"Milady you seem to be thinking very deeply about something?" He asks making me wake up daze as I stare outside the carriage window.

"Uh well..." I look at him again awkwardly. The truth is I'm still unsure and awkward around Rion! I have no idea what to say or do around him...

"Is something bothering you Milady?" He asks.

"No there's nothing that your highness has to be concerned about" I say.

"Is that so? Alright then." He looks kinda sad.

Maybe I should speak more with him...This awkwardness won't get us anywhere...

I must get closer to him! I need to keep him by my side as long as possible!

"Well the truth is your highness...I was wondering if we could go on hunting together sometime?" I say.

His face lights up.

"Hunting?"

"Yes, I heard the southern forests are filled with beautiful deers, so I was wondering if we could...I mean only if your highness is okay with it!"

"I mean, yes sure! Definitely! I would love to!"  He smiles cheerfully as his eyes brighten up at my words

I knew it. He would love it.

In truth, I have absolutely zero interest in hunting. I don't understand why someone would like to kill animals when they have done absolutely nothing wrong. I like the idea of fishing a lot more but I only suggested it because Rion likes hunting, which is expected since the emperor likes to hunt as well. It is evident from how their palace is filled with trophies from their hunt such as the tiger skin carpet or the collection of Antlers on the wall.

I must say, like father, like son.

"But still I'm actually very surprised Milady"

"Huh?"

Wait why? Does he know that I don't like hunting...

"It's really uncommon for noble ladies to indulge in activities as such." He says.

"Ohhh!! No I do enjoy it!" I try to play it off with a smile.

Uh why would anyone like doing weird things like that- Is what I want to say! But of course I can't!

"I must say you never fail to surprise me Milady"  he smiles again.

"Is that so?" I laugh nervously.

I blush everytime he smiles at me...! Why am I like this!?

Come to think of it, he's actually  extremely handsome...! Now I know why all the ladies all over the empire are so crazy about him!

But when I look at you, I can't help but wonder what future really holds for us.

Is this really a marriage of convenience...?

Or is there something more to it...More to us?