38- I hate you

Events of The Original novel

She sat on the side bed as moonlight shone on her raven black hair. Her eyes cold as ever gazed at the blue diamond ring she had gotten herself a while ago.

It was pretty. She liked pretty things.

But pretty things made her sad too.

They reminded of her dead mother.

Zerlasha Vorsack, the late Duchess of Vorsack and also the mother of Caroline.

"You are the prettiest girl in the entire world" She would whisper in little Caroline's ears.

"But you are prettier!" She would look up to her mother and smile.

Those were the happiest days of her entire life.

But soon they faded into darkness.

Zerlasha was a beautiful woman from the neighbouring empire of Karlos. The Duke had met her when he went over there on a business trip. She was just the opposite of him, innocent and naive with a strong faith in God.

Even though the Duke was an evil, ruthless man, he was only a human. He soon fell in love with her very deeply.

Hiding his true identity, he requested her hand in marriage.

She married the duke and moved to this empire with him, not guessing a damn thing about his reality.

She only found out about his true nature much later after Caroline was born...

The Duke of Vorsack ran an organised crime syndicate, responsible for numerous crimes including murder, child trafficking, sale of illegal drugs and many more.

And innocent Zerlasha couldn't accept any of this. She was a pious woman with strong faith, she couldn't tolerate those evils!

And slowly she went crazy...

Caroline grew up watching her parents fight all the time. Sounds of breaking glasses, curses, manipulations had become normal for her.

A once happy family broke down like sand castles.

"You shouldn't exist! I shouldn't have given birth to that monster's child!"

Zerlasha would beat Caroline up until her face bled. Her enviable pretty face was disfigured to the point that she was unrecognisable.

It was then when the Duke took the decision to lock her up in the basement away from Caroline so she couldn't harm her.

He wanted to brainwash her but couldn't bring himself to watch her suffer as the Brainwashing required the victim to be in a state of hallucination and nightmares which was done by the use of poisonous drugs that hurt the body greatly and even shortened the victims lifespan.

Little Caroline would miss her mother very much, she would cry and beg to see her but no one in the mansion was allowed to let them meet.

Frustrated, oneday she sneaked into the basement to meet her mother by digging up a secret passageway.

When she saw her, her mother was chained to the wall, with magic circles surrounding her.

Caroline broke into tears seeing her mother like this.

"Mother please wait...I'll set you free!" Little Caroline casted the spell she learnt at her magic lesson and undid the magic circle. It was a high level magic but she was extremely skilled in magic spells even though she was only a child. She could cast even complex spells at a very high speed.

Then came the chains, the little girl tried to pull the chains but they wouldn't open as they were to strong for her.

But she still tried hard as she was desperate to free her mother.