(42) Truth

The room went silent. Everyone held their breath as the fact was presented with to the two people who are already in so much shock.

A knife could cut through the tension in the air. No one said anything for a whole minute.

"Excuse me?", David whispered in surprise.

Leah looks at him trying to control her fast pacing heart.

There was no easy way to put this information through. It was bound to be a big deal and all of them were aware of that.

It was all nice and cherry till the lies were keeping the situation from turning into something bad. But even lies can have an expiry date apparently.

"You work in a mafia? What the hell does that mean?", David demanded.

He knew what a mafia was. But not the ground reality. He was hoping it was some sort of a hipster band or anything for that matter in this generation's language.

Leah couldn't figure out how to approach this. She was too comfortable all this while when it was all hidden and never imagined how she will have to deal with it when the time comes.

"Those men who attacked us today seemed to know your name, so I'm assuming you know them too?", David questions. "Did you get yourself involved into some trouble or something? Those men looked dangerous obviously", He asked with a frown on his face.

Leah's mouth opened and closed repeatedly. She wasn't sure how to answer that.

Her brothers could see her nervousness and felt so bad for her. They wanted to intervene, but knew it wasn't their place and that was no solution.

"Leah we were in the middle of a freaking bullet showdown some time ago. I saw you fire at that car and also the man who threatened you. You didn't look surprised by what you were doing. It seemed like you have done this before. So please for god sake speak! This is not the time to stay quiet!", David said in a stern voice.

Grace stood up but kept her distance. She knew this was serious. Leah had got herself involved into something. She wanted answers too.

Sebastian seeing his daughter in such a situation felt very bad. He immediately intervenes.

"David calm down. Let's all just relax please?", He tried to ease down the problem.

David turns to look at him. "She asked me to call you", He said with a small frown realising it.

Sebastian was not sure what he meant for a second.

David turns back to his daughter. "Leah why did you insist I call Sebastian instead of the cops? You were very adamant about that. Why?", He asked curiously pointing at Seb.

Leah gulped looking at her Papa who was pale sensing it all get more and more serious.

"Are you going to answer me or not?", David said with a louder tone.

"Dad I...I work in a mafia. Those people who attacked us are our enemies", Leah replied lowly.

Grace stared at her little sister with wide eyes. David was overwhelmed with shock.

"Mafia? As in some illegal dangerous gang shit?", David asked anxiously.

Leah nods shakily in reply.

"What are you saying? I-I..what? Seb do you understand this?", David in turned to him in disbelief.

Even though it was clear it was so hard for them to comprehend the reality.

Sebastian looked into the eyes of the man he loved. The fear he felt was real, but he was not about to lie or try to cover it up. He will be by his daughter, telling the truth.