CHAPTER 1

Rebecca Lopez Montes De Alba is married to Gabriel Montes De Alba, the sole heir to the Montes De Alba fortune. She gives birth to their twin children, Hernan, and Gabriela Montes De Alba. She then dies a few days after due to complications because the pregnancy was difficult and she couldn't handle giving birth to twins.

When the twins are 1 year, Carlos Diaz, an executive at the company introduces Helena Alvarez, who unknown to all, is his secret lover, to seduce and marry their father Gabriel Montes De Alba. Helena and Carlos have long-term plans to take over Montes De Alba Inc. Helena and Carlos are skillful hunters. They are very patient, and stalk their prey, in this case, Gabriel. They know death so soon, after marriage, is likely to look fishy, and raise a lot of suspicions, so they decide to do it in four years.

When the twins are 3, Rosa Isela, one of Carlos's exes sends their 3-year-old son Antonio to him because she is dying of cancer and does not know where else to leave him. Meanwhile, Helena gets news that her brother, Adrian, and his wife, Paulina died in a car accident that left their 2-year-old daughter, Adrianna, with mild injuries. Gabriel agrees for Helena's niece to come and live with them.

The year the twins turn 6, Helena and Carlos start planning to kill Gabriel. Helena however decides she must secure her future first, by getting pregnant, and convinces Carlos to delay their plans by a few months. Helena falls pregnant three months after the twins turn 6 years. Gabriel is overjoyed when he learns she is pregnant, while Carlos is furious. They have a row, as she insists, to secure her legacy at Montes De Alba Inc., she needed a child. When Helena is four months pregnant, she and Carlos use a rare poisonous plant to poison Gabriel. Helena and Carlos plan for the tampering of the ambulances at the nearby hospital, working with their team of hired goons. The poison works slowly. As the symptoms begin to manifest, an ambulance is called. As it crosses a bridge (after picking up Gabriel), the driver swerves, and rolls, down a steep slope, and rolls over. It is a freak accident and he was trying to avoid hitting a group of children. The ambulance misses landing in the nearby river by a short margin.

Some twenty minutes later, it bursts into a ball of fire, sending parts of it into the water. The police come to the scene and find three bodies burnt beyond recognition. None of the bodies is Gabriel's. Carlos and Helena threaten the head of the morgue into declaring that one of the dead is Gabriel. The Story that goes out to the public is that of the missing EMT (emergency medical technician's) and people talk about it, turning it into a local mystery. However, there is no sign of Gabriel anywhere. Helena and Carlos play their mourning roles in public but celebrate in private. Helena milks the role of the mourning pregnant widow well, to attract public sympathy. They use their corrupt hired goons to monitor hospitals and morgues in the city, for several months after, but Gabriel does not turn up.

Five months later, Helena gives birth to a daughter whom she names Aranza.

Carlos is irritated because it's another heir, to the Montes de Alba fortune. To avoid making things suspicious, they wait for a little under 2 years before making an attempt on the twins. When Herman and Gabriela turn 8 years (Antonio is also 8, while Adrianna is 7 and Aranza is 1 year), the whole group goes on a trip to a famous resort, located deep in the forest. The group goes to the nearby forest for family activities. Carlos, and Helena, take Hernan and Gabriela to the forest to play and tell them that they will come back for them, which they do. On the second day, they fail to go for the kids. Scared and hungry Hernan and Gabriela try to find their way back to the resort, but end up getting even more lost. When Adrianna and Antonio ask where the twins are, Carlos and Helena lie and say they went to live with an aunt, abroad.