CHAPTER 24

Saturday dawns bright and early,

Carlos hated having to be there. He wanted Gabriel's memory to die and be forgotten. Antonio and Adrianna go to pick up Hector, Gina, and Aurelio from their house. Yet again Antonio is struck by how beautiful Gina is. Still, he can sense a feeling of fear and sadness in her. They go straight to the cemetery. Alejandro is filled with rage and jealousy every time he sees Adrianna with Hector. Antonio sits near Gina, and Hector near Adrianna. Gina looks in front and sees her mother's grave. To be so close to both her parents' graves and not be able to show any emotion was killing her. Helena watches Hector and Gina. There is something about those two that she cannot quite put her finger on. Something that frightens her and puts her on edge, and why do Hector's habits and demeanor remind her so much of Gabriel?

Meanwhile, two of the escaped patients have been caught separately. Later, Gina, Adrianna, Emma, and Aranza go to the mall while the boys go to watch football nearby. At the end of the day, Adrianna and Hector leave with Aranza and Aurelio and take them to a friend's house for a party. Antonio and Gina leave with Martin and Emma and drop them at Martin's house. Aranza rolls her eyes as Adrianna gives her a long list of dos and don'ts.

Adrianna and Hector then go to Hector's friend (Raphael)'s house. It's not too far from Martin's house and is a one bedroomed. Hector asks her if she wants to change her mind. Adrianna asks him why he would think she wants to change her mind. He says she has grown up in luxury and he would not want to disrespect her by bringing her to things that are not up to her standard. She walks up to him and tells him he should not worry about that because status and wealth do not matter to her. She says she finds him to be intelligent, hardworking, and a good person. Adrianna says it's not like the wealth belongs to her. She says it's Aranza's and her brother's and sister's. Hector feels guilty, every time he and his sister are mentioned because it reminds him of their lie. Adrianna adds that this place is good enough and she is comfortable.

Meanwhile, Gina and Antonio are at a petrol station. After he refuels they go into a tuck shop to get a few supplies. John is, at nearby dumpster foraging for food. It is dark and the station is not well lit. He finds some rice, and eats some of it, and walks away. Gina tells Antonio she needs some air and he asks her if she will be okay waiting for him outside. Gina says she will wait in the car.

Meanwhile, Aranza and Aurelio are at the party. Someone spikes Aranza's drink. Aurelio goes to check up on her. He can sense something is wrong. He talks to her and from the smell and her demeanor he can tell she is not sober. He supports her and goes with her to the kitchen. He gives her water. Aurelio decides that it's best to take her home. As he tries to leave with her, some guys try to stop him. They tell him that it's too early to leave the party. Another of them says that Aranza is having a good time and that he should not be a party popper. Aurelio can sense that it's one of these guys who drugged her. Aurelio tells them to not forget who Aranza's mother is. He asks them what they think Madame Helena would do when she discovers that they drugged her daughter. They momentarily look taken aback and Aurelio's suspicions are confirmed.

Back with Antonio and Gina,

Gina is outside the car when she feels someone is behind her. She turns around and is surprised. It is an older man, in his late forties. He looks a little disheveled and dirty, but for some reason, she doesn't feel like he is a danger to her. John looks at Gina almost like he knew her from somewhere. Even amid his insanity, his mind knew her. Gina is surprised. He looks so familiar like she must have known him from somewhere. Gina asks him if he is hungry. He doesn't answer her but looks around then looks back at her. Gina asks again and John still does not answer her. She opens the car, gets out some food, and gives him. He looks at the food then takes it and takes a huge bite. Gina watches him then says that he is either unable to speak or mentally unstable. John looks at her again then calls her butterfly. Gina is caught off guard and looks at him. He looks at her and says that she is like a butterfly.

Meanwhile, Aurelio tells the group of guys that Aranza is not one of their loose easy lays, that she is a decent girl. He adds that unless they want trouble they should leave Aranza alone. Aurelio then leaves with Aranza. He calls a taxi. As they wait, for the taxi, he looks at her. She is so tough, yet so vulnerable. He vows that whenever she needs his help he will help her. The taxi arrives and takes them to his house.

Meanwhile, Hector asks Adrianna what she had wanted to talk to him about the previous day. She says it's about Aranza. Hector asks if Aranza is okay. Adrianna says she is. She then continues and says that she (Adrianna) appreciates how much he has done for Aranza and how he treats her like a younger sister but she wouldn't like him to overexert himself because Aranza knows he sees her like a younger sister and she is quite spoilt and might overexert him. Hector assures her that he does not feel overexerted and enjoys spending time with Aranza. Adrianna asks him again if he is sure, because Aranza is quite spoilt, and he assures her he is.

Back with Antonio and Gina

Antonio sees Gina and walks fast towards her. He looks at her then at John and asks her if she is okay. Gina says she is. Antonio says John could be dangerous. Gina says he is not. He asks her how sure she is. Antonio reminds her that there are some missing mental patients and he could be one of them or some other mental case. Gina looks at John and then says that she can just tell he is a good person. They hear ambulance sounds and turn around. The ambulance parks and two nurses get out. They approach John and patiently and calmly assist him into the ambulance. Someone had apparently called the mental facility's ambulance which luckily was on patrol not too far away.

Later,

Antonio and Gina go to his house. Gina thinks back to John. She remembers her father's nickname for her- butterfly. Her childhood bedroom was even butterfly-themed. He reminded her of her father. Antonio comes near her and asks her if she if is okay. She says she is. Antonio adds that she seems shaken after that encounter with the mental patient.

Gina says that she's not shaken. She adds that the man reminds her of someone. Antonio asks her who he reminds her of. Gina says she doesn't want to talk about it. Antonio asks her why she doesn't like to talk about her parents. Gina adds that there's not much to say. Antonio sees that the topic saddens her and decides to drop it for the moment.

It is Sunday and John and the other patients are at the new facility. He eats his breakfast quietly as he says the butterfly is back. He has a flashback. In it, there is a 5-year-old boy with his mother. Again he says butterfly. Two doctors and a nurse are observing the patients.

Meanwhile, Aurelio watches Aranza sleep. It is nearly 8am. He wakes up and goes to the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Aranza turns and tosses. Her head hurts. She struggles and opens her eyes. She screams. She is in a strange room. Aurelio hears her scream and runs into the room. He goes to calm her down. She pounds at him, but after a few minutes, he finally manages to restrain her. She shrinks back in his arms. When he is certain she is calm, he lets her go. Aurelio asks her how she feels. She says her headaches and she feels weak, but she is fine. He hands her a glass of water that was on the table. Aranza drinks all of it. She then asks him what happened.

He says that he will tell her later because she is still dizzy. Aranza pouts and says that she needs to know. Aurelio insists that she didn't need to know yet. Aranza insists that she does and eventually he lets her have her way. He tells her about how she was drugged and how he called a cab and brought her home. Aranza looks at the pajamas she is wearing and asks Aurelio if anything happened between them. He assures her nothing did. He says he would never take advantage of her being unable to give consent. Aurelio smiles and adds that he does like her but when something does happen, he would want her to remember every moment of it.

Aranza rolls her eyes, smiles, and then throws a pillow at him. Aurelio says he has to tell Adrianna what happened. Aranza does not want him to and says Adrianna will overreact. Aurelio says that while that is likely if he does not tells Adrianna, Hector, Gina, or Antonio, he will be in trouble. Aranza reluctantly agrees. Adrianna and Hector are having breakfast. She hears a call. It is Aurelio. She can feel the tension in his voice. She asks him, if he and Aranza, are both okay. He tells her what happened. Adrianna says she will be there shortly. Hector gets closer to her and asks her what's wrong. She tells him about Aranza. They pack up and leave. Hector also calls Gina.