CHAPTER 49

Saturday dawns bright and early. Helena is awake, and as is her routine in the morning, she goes through her phone. She checks her emails. Most are work, emails which she ignores because it is her birthday. One email, however, catches her eye. It is from an email address, that starts like this; the twins@. Curiosity overpowers her and she opens it. The title of the email is birthday wishes. There is no additional writing, but there is an attachment, which she downloads. She then opens it. It is an e-card. She peruses through it and then goes to the end to see who signed it. Helena screams and drops the phone.

Carlos wakes up and rushes to her side. He asks her what's wrong, but all Helena can do is to point at the ground, towards her phone. He picks it up and sees the open birthday card. Carlos still has no idea, why she reacted in such a manner. He asks her why she is so scared. Helena takes a deep breath and asks him to look at who signed the card. Carlos checks the card and sees that it had been signed by Hernan and Gabriela Montes de Alba.

Elsewhere, Ramon, Clara, Anna Patricia, and Aranza are at Clara and Ramon's house. Everyone else already knows that Aranza is not going to her mother's party and they support her decision.

Meanwhile, at the mental hospital, John is in his room, he is looking over, some magazines, absentmindedly. It is a society magazine. He flips through it and lands on a picture of Helena and Carlos at a past event. He stares at them and runs his fingers over them.

Back at the Montes de Alba mansion, Helena tries to call Aranza. Aranza sees it's her mother and picks it up. Helena asks her if she is coming to the party later. Aranza says she is, out of obligations rather than choice. She then ends the call.

Elsewhere, at Antonio's house,

Gina is dressed and in the kitchen. She is ready to go and visit John. She is to pass by her house so that she can leave with Hector and Anna Patricia. Antonio who is to take her to her house is sitting in the dining room having breakfast. He doesn't really ask her so much about visiting John, because she is stubborn, and will always insist she has to, even though it still bothers him. He cannot understand her attachment to him and her growing affection for him. Sometimes her secrecy is just too much for him to deal with. Why does she have to hide so much about her past and herself? Antonio tells himself that he hardly knows anything about her.

Sometime later, Helena and Carlos are at a high-end fancy hotel, ready to celebrate her birthday. There are some of their associates and colleagues. Of course, neither Antonio, Adrianna nor Aranza are there. Helena seethes and fumes, how could that ungrateful brat, do that to her? She vows that she will make Aranza and Aurelio pay. Her nerves are still rattled from the birthday cards she received earlier that day. She says that no one will ruin her day and that the party must go on.

Monday reaches, and Antonio is at his desk when he receives a call. He says to himself, that his grandmother needs to get more hobbies and leave him alone. He is however surprised to see that it is Helena but picks up.

Meanwhile, Clara and Ramon, are walking in the park. He notices that she is quieter than usual. He asks her about it. She asks him, what he thinks about Emma. Ramon says she is a good girl and is a good fit for Martin. Ramon then looks at his wife, she has that glint in her eye. He asks her what she is up to. Clara says that she thinks telling Emma the truth is not such a bad idea. When she sees Ramon, look at her, like she is mad, she shrugs and says that she thinks that Emma is trustworthy, and anyway it is about time they lessen the burden of keeping the secret on the children.

Meanwhile, Antonio has entered Helena's office, and he sits down. He waits for her to speak. She scrolls through her laptop, then she turns it to face him. She tells him to read that card. He goes through it and is shocked. Helena says that it is probably some sick person who wanted to mess with her head. Helena says that she wants that email traced so that they can find out who is behind that sick joke. She asks him if he can trace the email, and he says he can. Helena says he does not have to come to the office the next day and that he should get onto dealing with the matter.