CHAPTER 38

Meanwhile, Aurelio is walking on a lonely deserted pathway on his way to the university, when he runs into a group of five, masked young men. They beat him up and leave him for dead. After what seems like forever, a young boy of about eight, is walking through there, and sees Aurelio, and comes over. It is the same boy Antonio hit, months earlier. He runs to call somebody. They check Aurelio and then call an ambulance.

Meanwhile, Aranza is at the university. One of her classes has just ended. She tries to call Aurelio, but nothing. She knows, he had no morning classes that day and was coming to the university later. Where was he? Mauricio has just come from a class as well. He smirks and says (to himself) that, Aurelio will have to learn to respect his betters and to know his place, after the lesson, he has just been taught.

Elsewhere,

Adrianna is at her desk working when she receives a phone call, but the number is not familiar. She tries to ignore it, but, when the caller insists, she picks it up again. He asks her if he knows Aurelio Ortiz, and she says she does. Adrianna, then asks, the person, why they have Aurelio's phone. They tell her, that Aurelio was brought in, with some injuries. Adrianna is shocked. The person said, they took his phone and picked up a random number, and called, which turned out to be hers.

Meanwhile, Aranza tries to call Aurelio again, even as she gets ready to attend another class, but nothing. Aranza pouts and says (to herself) that she can hear the signal, indicating that he is busy, but he won't pick up her call. Who was Aurelio talking to?

Meanwhile, Adrianna calls Gina. Gina can sense from Adrianna's voice that something is up, and asks her about it. Adrianna tells her about the call from the hospital informing her that Aurelio, was involved in some kind of accident, and was taken there. Gina is scared. That morning, when they last saw each other, Aurelio was fine. Gina asks her how serious it is. Adrianna says she doesn't know. Gina says she will tell Armando and Luisa about it.

Meanwhile, back at the mental hospital, John is in his room, filling puzzles. Dr. Alves comes in and asks John how he is. John says he feels quite well, but he feels bored, of seeing the same faces and doing the same things. He adds that he wants something different. He says he wants to see what the outside world is like, even for a little while.

Elsewhere, Luisa is distraught. Her son, her little boy, is lying in that bed, beaten by some criminals. She is at the clothes store where she works, and Gina has just told her about Aurelio's accident.

Meanwhile, Hector has just told Aranza about Aurelio's accident and she feels guilty about being angry at him. She skips the evening class and decides to go to the hospital.

Meanwhile, Emma tells Gina that she should go and check on Aurelio and that she (Emma) will cover, for her. Gina hugs her and says that she is the best friend in the world. Emma smiles and says that she knows.

Meanwhile, back at the mental hospital, John is going through some newspapers. He especially loves looking at the pictures in the different newspapers. The doctors often bring him old copies, to go through as part of his treatment, since, without knowing his family, things are quite difficult. Gina calls Dr. Alves, and tells him about Aurelio's accident, and says that none of them will be able to make it that day. Dr. Alves says that he understands and will tell John.

Later, at the hospital, Adrianna, Antonio, Anna Patricia, Aranza, Armando, Clara, Emma, Gina, Hector, Luisa, Martin, and Ramon are waiting for news on Aurelio. Ramon calls Antonio, Armando, Martin, and Hector aside. Aranza looks at them as they leave.

Ramon says that Aurelio is a good kid who is loved by all and has no enemies, except for Mauricio Basanez. He asks them what they should do about Aurelio's attack. Martin says Mauricio is capable of hiring one of his goons to do it. Antonio says that they have no evidence and cannot charge, Mauricio, but they should watch out for him and take care of Aurelio.