CHAPTER 40

On Thursday morning, as Antonio was having a cup of coffee, his phone rings. He picks it up and frowns. He says that his grandmother has a way of messing with his head and messing up his day. He ignores her. He knows that she wants to talk about Isabella- the last topic he wants to talk about. Claudia frowns. She says that it was because of Gina Ortiz that Antonio was acting in such a manner. He was defending her. Claudia says (to herself) that it is only a matter of time before Antonio has to marry Isabella and leave Gina alone because she was not good enough for him.

Elsewhere, Adrianna calls Gina. She says she wants the two of them to talk to Luisa, Clara, and Anna Patricia. She adds that she can't talk to anyone else because Aranza is too young and her aunt (Helena) is judgmental, unreasonable, and hates Hector and her (Gina). Gina agrees that it's a good idea and suggests that they do it, later that day.

Back at the hospital, Clara and Ramon are with Aurelio as everyone else is at work and Aranza at the university. He is doing much better though he has to stay over the weekend.

A little while later, Antonio calls Hector and says he would like to talk to him at lunch. Hector asks him what he would like them to talk about. Antonio says he would like to talk about Aranza since he (Antonio) had promised to do something to contain Mauricio and to get him off her back. Hector agrees.

Meanwhile, Martin is going back to the procurement department when he runs into Marianna. He calls her a witch. She glares at him and he smiles.

Later, Gina calls Anna Patricia. She says that she and Adrianna would like to talk to her, Clara, and Luisa, in a women-only meeting, and that she wanted to confirm when it would be okay with them. Anna Patricia says that is fine because she could sense that something was not okay with her and with Adrianna as well and that she is sure Luisa is aware, and of course nothing passes her mother's (Clara) super keen eyes.

Meanwhile, Antonio is at his desk, when his phone rings. His first thought is that it is his grandmother calling to get on his nerves, as usual. He says (to himself), that his grandmother must be very idle if her favorite activity involves meddling in his personal life. When he sees who it is, he frowns. He adds (to himself), that he would rather his grandmother than that witch, Isabella. He ignores her. Can't his grandmother and Isabella, give him some peace? Isabella says that it doesn't matter whether Antonio picks up the phone or not. She adds that things are just beginning, and she will make sure Antonio and Gina hate each other and are never happy.

A little while later, at the mental institution, John is having lunch, when he has a flashback in which there is a young man, in his mid-twenties. He is in what looks like a children's room, and it is colorfully decorated. With him are two children, both of whom are about one year old. One child is a boy and the other is a girl. He is casually dressed and is playing with the children. John then looks around, slightly confused. Who were those children?

Elsewhere, Antonio meets Hector during lunch, to discuss protecting Aranza from Mauricio's harassment. He apologizes for calling him on short notice and adds that when he heard that Mauricio was continuing to harass Aranza, he knew that he just had to do something about it. Hector says it's not a big deal, and that he too loves Aranza like she was his younger sister, and he would really like to help her deal with Mauricio. Hector says they need to find a way, to make Mauricio realize that Aranza is not defenseless and that she has two strong men to protect her.

Meanwhile, Emma, Gina, and Adrianna are having lunch together. Emma asks them where Antonio and Hector are. Adrianna tells her that Antonio wanted to talk to Hector. Gina says that she thinks it's about Aranza's case with Mauricio. Emma says she hopes they find a solution soon because Mauricio is crazy.

Adrianna agrees and says that he behaves with Aranza like Alejandro does with her. Adrianna adds that having a crazy person like Alejandro, or Mauricio, so obsessed leaves someone feeling helpless, desperate, and fearful over what the person may do. Emma says that something should be done before he tries to rape her again or kills her. Gina and Adrianna stare at her and Emma shrugs and says that what she is saying is crude but possible.