CHAPTER 42

Meanwhile, Isabella arrives at the restaurant, where she and Antonio are meeting. He greets her. Isabella tries to make small talk with him, but he tells her that he has no interest in making small talk. He says that all he really wants is for them to be civil to each other because of the baby. Isabella says that he should stop being in such a foul mood, and asks if he wants an early lunch. Antonio (sarcastically) asks her how she expects him to be, after all, her schemes to separate him and Gina over the past few months. Isabella ignores him and says that they are there to discuss their child and not that "silly townie".

Antonio says that there is not much to say, because what will happen is simple, he will stay with Gina but will provide for and love his child. Isabella says she can give him, everything he needs, and the two of them and their child can be a happy family. Antonio looks at her, full of scorn. He says she is crazy and out of her mind. He adds that he would never go back to her, not even if he was paid, all the money in the world. Isabella asks him what he sees in the silly townie. Antonio says, there are no words in this world to describe what Gina means' to him because she is a truly remarkable person. (He pauses) smirks and then asks her if he should continue.

Isabella says that silly townie has made him soft, and sentimental. Antonio says his relationship with Gina is none of her business. He adds that she is wasting his time because he has already stated he will love and support his son, he just won't marry her. Isabella says that it seems that certain characteristics are genetic. She adds that he is just like his grandfather and father. She watches Antonio tense. She knows that is one of his weakest points. She intends to fully exploit it in the future. Antonio says that he knows his responsibilities to his child and that he does not intend to punish the child because the child has already been punished enough. Antonio tells Isabella that she is a horrible person, who is unrepentant for everything she has done.

He adds that he doubts her parenting skills will be any better than her personality because both are non-existent. Isabella says that if he won't be agreeable and marry her because he made her pregnant, she will make sure, he and Gina are never happy. Antonio says she should set her priorities straight and focus on their child, instead of being a bitter shrew. He adds that all that bitterness, in her soul, is not good for her, or the child. He also adds that the negativity will trickle down to the child. Isabella screams and leaves. People look at her. Antonio smiles and continues drinking his soda.

At around twelve noon, Hector arrives at their meeting place. Marianna is already there. He greets her. She asks him how that boring bookworm girlfriend of his is. He ignores her and sits down. He watches her but says nothing. She says that he has to marry her because he made her pregnant. He looks at her with utter contempt but lets her continue talking. She adds that he needs to step, up and take care of his responsibilities. Hector moves near her and says she is crazy. He says that he will never give up Adrianna, so her plot to break him and Adrianna up has failed. He adds that she is crazy and he will never forgive her for drugging him. Marianna asks him again what he sees again in his bookworm, boring over serious girlfriend when he can have someone more fun like her.

Hector, says she is crazy, and he does not have to explain anything to her. He adds that they are here to discuss the baby and not his personal life, which is none of her business. Marianna says that she will never allow him to be happy with Adrianna, and says that if he won't be hers he won't be anyone else's either. Hector says that her craziness is not good for the baby. He adds that they should both forget their differences and co-parent amicably. Marianna insists that her terms and conditions stand. Hector tries to reason with her, but she stands her ground. She says that he has a lot to think about and leaves. Hector is left with a thousand thoughts in his head. He asks (himself) how he got to this point, with a crazy lunatic who is obsessed with him, pregnant with his child. How did things get that bad?