CHAPTER 18

At the end of the day,

Hector goes to Adrianna's cubicle. Most people had left early that day. She tells him that she was going to go to Gina's. He looks at her and sees something is bothering her and asks her if it is Alejandro. He says that if it is, they will get through whatever tricks Alejandro is planning. Adrianna assures him that it is not Alejandro. She says right now, it is someone else who was terrifying her. He asks her who the person is. Adrianna says it is his Grandmother. Hector is surprised. He asks her why she is afraid of his grandmother. Adrianna asks him if he thinks Clara approves of their relationship and her. Hector says Clara does have a big personality, but she is a nice person and will love her.

Elsewhere,

Aranza and Aurelio leave the university early and go to Montes De Alba INC. They leave with Gina, Hector, Adrianna, Antonio, Martin, and Emma and go with them to the hospital. Clara is happy to see them all.

At the hospital,

The doctor, says that Ramon, is still in a critical state, but he is conscious and will have to stay for at least a week in the hospital. Antonio puts his arms around Gina, who is almost crying. Clara is disillusioned by the news. Ramon is more than her husband, he is her pillar, rock, and best friend. He was there at her lowest moment and has stuck with her for over forty years of marriage. She almost faints but Aranza and Emma, who were nearest to her, help her. Clara tells them to stop fussing over her. She says she is strong and can take care of herself. Gina smiles, that is her grandmother, stubborn to a fault.

Later, that Friday Anna Patricia, Martin's mother calls him after she calls her mother to find out how she is doing. She says she is coming, to the city. Martin starts to say that Clara told her to stay in town, and Anna Patricia says she is coming to the city, regardless of what his grandmother says. She adds that she is an adult and does not need her mother's permission. Martin laughs, and she asks him why he is laughing. He says one day, he will use that same line on her. She scolds him and then asks him how he is doing. Martin says that he is fine then asks her when she is coming. She says she will travel the next morning.

On Saturday morning,

Aranza wakes up, as usual, to go and take photographs with Hector, but runs into her mother as she is going to take breakfast. Helena asks her where she is going. Aranza answers with a question and asks her why she cares. Helena says because she is her mother. Aranza bites back her tongue and says she is going out with friends. Helena asks her which friends she is going out with. Aranza says she is going out with Hector, to take photos after which they will visit his sick grandmother. Helena asks her what she sees in those Ortiz boys. Aranza rolls her eyes and tells her mother that she is being unfair. She says Hector, Aurelio, and Martin are nice people. Helena is surprised and asks her why she has referred to Martin as well.

Aranza says Martin is Aurelio's cousin, and that Gina and Hector are grandchildren of one of Ramon's friends who died when they were younger, and he made Ramon promise to adopt his grandchildren. Helena says nonetheless, she should consider what people will think, of her, when she is fraternizing with the help. Aranza tells off her mother for being a classist and reminds her that before her (Aranza's ) father married her, she wasn't exactly very rich. Helena is annoyed. What an insolent child. Aranza says she has lost her appetite and stands to leave but her mother, tells her to sit down because they have to talk.

Aranza rolls her eyes but sits down. Helena asks her why she lied. Aranza is confused. What is her mother talking about? She asks her mother what she means. Helena says she learnt that she spent a weekend with Aurelio. Aranza is surprised but doesn't deny it. Aranza says Aurelio is her friend, and she does like him, but nothing happened. Aranza says she is a lady and respects herself. She adds that Aurelio was a gentleman and respected her decision. Adrianna comes in, and after greeting Helena, sits down for breakfast. Helena asks Adrianna where Antonio is. Adrianna says he is coming down.