CHAPTER 5

Later, Adrianna and Antonio come for supper. Aranza is her usual yappy self and excitedly tells Adrianna and Antonio about the location scouting and also the pictures they took.

An uneventful Sunday passes, and the big week finally arrives. It is Monday, and the launch is on Thursday. They are launching plum, litchi, Guarana, blueberry, and grape-flavored yoghurts, and for crisps, they were launching a nacho-flavored one. During the lunch break: Adrianna goes to the office loos. She looked into the mirror and splashed water on her face. Was she going crazy? Why did she seem to see Hernan in Hector?

Later she left and headed towards the IT department looking for Antonio. She ran into the one person she hoped the earth would open up and swallow, Alejandro. She tried to bypass him but he must have anticipated her actions early enough because he blocked her way. Adrianna told him to leave her alone. He asked her where she was going, and she told him it was none of his business. Adrianna was beginning to realize that by answering his questions she was feeding his obsession with her.

She realised this might be making him believe that his opinion mattered to her, and making him believe that a chance still existed for them. Adrianna wiggled out and went to look for Antonio. Alejandro looks at Adrianna as she leaves. He is increasingly sure that Adrianna's increasing rebellious attitude is due, at least in part to influence from Hector. What is going on between the two?

At the end of the day, Aranza comes to the office. Adrianna, Antonio, Gina, and Hector are still in staff meetings. The air around Montes de Alba Inc. is busy, tense, and heavy with anxiety. She sits on Adrianna's desk and removes pieces of paper and begins doing some calligraphy.

It is her favourite hobby(photography comes second). Soon the meeting ends. Adrianna comes and finds Aranza there. Aranza is afraid when Adrianna sees the work before she has time to hide them. Adrianna sees her cousin's work and says the work is beautiful. She then asks for a private talk with her.

Adrianna then asks Aranza why she was trying to hide the work. Aranza says it is for many reasons. It is partly because she was afraid of her mother's reaction; partly because she was afraid she was not good enough. Adrianna says Aranza is a beautiful, talented young girl, and no one should make her feel anything else. Aranza asks her if the calligraphy work is good enough. Adrianna reassures her it is.

Meanwhile, Alejandro is looking for Adrianna and is told she left with Aranza. He goes to see if Hector is around, and finds him chatting with his cousin and other colleagues. Adrianna advises Aranza to show others her work. Aranza is afraid of people seeing it. Adrianna says Aranza could try with Antonio, Hector, Gina, and Aurelio since she is close to them. Aranza agrees and says they should go and find them. Adrianna wants to say they should do it some other time but knowing how spontaneous and crazy Aranza is, she decides not to. Aranza could even do something like show up at the Ortiz house unannounced. They go towards where Gina's offices are, and find her and Hector leaving together.

Adrianna sighs inwardly; there is something about Hector and Gina that reminds her about the twins. The way they relate, for example. They have that special bond. Adrianna asks them if she and Aranza could see them for a second. Hector and Gina both agree. They move to an empty store. Aranza looks at Adrianna quietly. Gina asks her(Aranza) if she is okay. For the short time Gina has known Aranza she has never seen her quiet. Adrianna removes some of Adrianna's calligraphy work and shows Gina and Hector. They both think the work is beautiful.

Hector asks whose work it is. Adrianna says it is Aranza's. Both he and Gina are impressed. Gina says she should use her skill and earn from it. Hector says that she could create artwork for some of the company's products. Adrianna says that she should show Antonio as well. Aranza asks Adrianna to call Antonio to come over, which she does. When Antonio comes, he is surprised to find Aranza, Gina, and Hector as well. Adrianna explains the situation to him and shows him Aranza's work. Antonio is impressed, and also compliments her.

Aranza expresses her fears, about her skills and her mother's reaction. Antonio assures her that regardless of her mother or anyone else's reaction they will all support her. Aranza is happy, to have her favorite people there, and only wishes Aurelio was there too. Antonio asks her when she plans to show her mother. Aranza says she wants to show Aurelio first before she thinks about showing her mother.

Later that night, Aranza thinks about what Adrianna, Antonio, Gina, and Hector said and feels inspired. She is still scared about her mother's reaction but she feels renewed.

The next day, at the university, Aranza waits anxiously until they are both free from classes, and asks Aurelio to see her alone. She shows him her work, and he is pleasantly surprised to see how good she is. She tells him about yesterday. Aurelio asks her, why she never showed her work to anyone before yesterday. Aranza explains and Aurelio hugs her. Aurelio wants to kiss her but does not. Aranza thinks he is very handsome, and also feels attracted to him. Aurelio walks her to her class.

Soon it is the big day. The day Montes de Alba Inc. launches its new product lines. Aranza got a day off from school and would attend. Early in the morning, Alejandro is at the Montes de Alba mansion. Adrianna is ready and goes to the dining room and enjoys a glass of juice.

Alejandro finds her there. He tells her she looks beautiful. She ignores him. When he seems eager to engage her in conversations, she becomes irritated and moves to go. Alejandro, however, holds her hand. Adrianna glares at him and says she finds him creepy and repulsive. Adrianna goes to Antonio's room.

Antonio watches her sigh as she sits on the mini sofa. He sits near her and asks her what Alejandro did this time. Surprised Adrianna asks him how he knew. Antonio says he knows her well and knows that Alejandro is the only person he (Antonio) knows who can get such a reaction from her.

Adrianna opens up and says she has exhausted ways of making Alejandro leave her alone. She says she fears he is developing an unhealthy obsession with her. Adrianna says she is afraid of what Alejandro might do when she finds someone she really likes and starts seriously dating.

Antonio smiles and says that it won't be long before they find out.

Adrianna asks him what he means. He says as things between her and Hector develop, it won't be too long before they find out what that psycho (Alejandro) will do. Adrianna rolls her eyes. Adrianna tells Antonio he has no idea what he is talking about. On the inside, her heart is saying otherwise. Adrianna asks him how Gina is doing. Adrianna watches his reaction. He tries to downplay things but Adrianna can see Gina has made an impression on him. Adrianna tells him so. Before Antonio can make a comeback, a knock is heard. Aranza announced herself. Antonio opens the door for her.

She sits on his bed and asks them what they were talking about. Antonio and Adrianna both remain silent. Noticing she will not get any answers. Aranza starts complaining and says that they should not treat her like a child and that she knows more than they think. Aranza then catches them off-guard by saying that the creep is downstairs, and she came here to avoid him because he was being clingy over Adrianna. Aranza puts on an air of innocence and looks at them in a sort of what-don't-be- dramatic-manner. Adrianna and Antonio both smile. Antonio asks both girls if they are ready.

They say yes. He tells them to get their purses and whatever else they need and meet him in the dining room in 20 minutes. The girls look at him quizzically but do as he asks. When they all meet up in the dining room, he says they are leaving together. Adrianna is all for it. The thought of traveling with Alejandro disgusts her. The three of them leave together. Alejandro sees them. He had wanted to find a way of going with Adrianna. He asks if he can join them. Antonio says they have plans, and it is a family affair. Alejandro tries to insist, and Antonio stands his ground.