CHAPTER 22

Later that evening, Marianna, Isabella, Alejandro, and Horacio meet again. Alejandro says that they should start their plans as soon as possible. Isabella agrees then looks at them and says they should begin with the first phase the next week. Everyone agrees to that. They then continue with their meeting.

Sometime later that night,

Gina is walking around. The next day is the 18th anniversary of her father's death. It is during that time each year that she felt even sadder and depressed and missed him more. She remembered the little things like how he would pick her up and carry her around and call her butterfly or read to her and Hector or how he would wear shorts and a vest every Saturday evening with his favorite beer in his hand as he watched football or his collection of old coins. She hears her phone ring.

It's Antonio. Gina doesn't pick up. He will sense something and might even try and follow her. She won't know what to say and she will have to blatantly lie to his face, and lying to him about who she and her brother really are, is hard enough. Antonio is in his car, he's just arrived at his house. He tries again but still, Gina doesn't pick up. He is worried about her. He has always had a feeling she is keeping something from him but the sadness in her that week had been more than usual. Antonio runs his hand through his hair. What else is he supposed to do? He loves her but she won't let him through to help her deal with whatever is bothering her.

Unable to deal with it, Antonio leaves for her house. He reaches and finds Aurelio. After he accepts a glass of juice, he asks Aurelio if he's seen, Gina. Aurelio says he has no idea where Gina is because she left and wouldn't tell him where she went. Aurelio tells him not to worry because he will get used to it. Antonio is confused and asks him what he means. Aurelio says Gina and Hector are usually sad during this time of the year, every year. Antonio asks him if he knows why.

Aurelio says he doesn't but maybe it is because of something that happened when the two of them were children before his parents adopted them. Aurelio then asks Antonio if he will look for her. Antonio says he will. Antonio asks Aurelio where he thinks Gina could be. Aurelio says normally she would be at his grandparents, Emma's, Martin's, or his parents but if she wants to be alone, probably a park. He says that he called his grandparents, his parents, Emma and Martin and Gina isn't with any of them. Aurelio adds that Clara told him to let her be.

Sometime later, Gina is at a park, sitting on a bench, watching a few people walk back, deep in her thoughts, when she feels someone sit near her. She looks up and it's Horacio. He asks her why she looks so sad. Gina is quiet and says to herself that she wishes he would just leave. Horacio asks her if her loving boyfriend, (using a sarcastic tone to refer to Antonio) is treating her well. Gina ignores his sarcasm and says Antonio treats her well. Horacio says she does not look like someone who is in a happy relationship. Gina tells him, her being down does not mean Antonio does not make her happy. Horacio asks her where her perfect boyfriend is because he should be comforting her through her sadness and pain. Gina says she wants to be alone, for a little while and if he has nothing to say apart from trashing Antonio, he should leave.

Meanwhile, Antonio arrives at the park and gets out of his car. He tries to call Gina again, but the phone rings and it's not picked up. He moves on and after walking for nearly five minutes, he sees Gina, on a chair, with Horacio sitting near her. He sees Horacio touch her face and lean in and kiss her. Gina wakes up and points to him to leave. Meanwhile, Gina tells Horacio, to never do that again. Gina says now even more than ever, she cannot stand him and will never go back to him. Antonio walks towards them, a dark look in his eye. Gina is surprised to see him there and afraid of what he will do.

She hopes he and Horacio won't fight. Antonio quietly walks towards Horacio, holds him up, and punches his face. He then tells him to keep his filthy hands off his girlfriend. Horacio winces then tells him not to feel too high and mighty because he is Carlos Diaz's son. Horacio then tries to retaliate but Antonio is much faster and stronger than him. Gina looks around and shouts out for help and after what seems like forever people arrive and separate them. Horacio tells Gina he hopes whatever is making her feel sad is sorted then smiles and leaves. As the crowd thins, Antonio tells Gina to follow him because they need to talk.