CHAPTER 12

Later at home, Adrianna asks Antonio if they are going in one car. Antonio says it is better that they do because it will make things easier. Antonio says they should use her car, but he will drive if it is okay with her and Adrianna agrees. She looks at him and asks him what else he hasn't told her. Antonio tells her about his offer to Gina. He asks her if she is comfortable. Adrianna says it's okay with her. Antonio then texts Gina to tell her Adrianna agreed and calls her beautiful. Gina smiles. Aurelio makes fun of her and says she is blushing because her boyfriend texted her. Gina glares at him. She throws a pillow at him. Later Gina informs Hector about it. He thinks it's a good idea because it is safe, convenient and saves them money.

Aranza and Aurelio have two weeks break from school. The weekend after the last week was the time of the trip. The Friday before the trip Aranza and Aurelio are at a park. Aranza has made a quick recovery. She is sitting against a large tree. She asks Aurelio what his plans are for the weekend home alone. Aurelio casually thinks about it then says he was planning to ask Anna (one of Aranza's classmates) to come over because he finds her hot. Aranza rolls her eyes and glares at him. He tries to touch her but she recoils and pulls away.

He tells her to relax because he wasn't being serious. He says he will probably watch movies and meet with friends. Aranza says that sounds boring. He smiles and asks her what her suggestion is. Aranza says she will come and keep him company. Aurelio looks at her like she is crazy and refuses. Aranza says he was going to invite girls over. She says if it wasn't Anna, it would be somebody else. Aurelio says he wasn't. He adds he was joking around. Aranza glares at him icily and says he is not funny. Aurelio smiles and she asks him what is so funny.

He answers saying that she looks even more beautiful when jealous. Aranza is momentarily caught off guard but says he is being ridiculous and looks away. Aurelio asks her if she isn't jealous, why she reacted that way. Aranza says she doesn't care what he does, because he is rude and mannerless. Aurelio smiles at her. She is jealous. Aranza ignores him and picks up her phone. As she is busy on her phone, he touches her face. She looks up to stare at him, and in a flash of an instant he leans in to kiss her, and she kisses him back.

After a short while, Aranza pulls away. She moves to create distance between them. Things were happening too fast. Aurelio is a little confused. That kiss is precisely why Aranza cannot spend the weekend at his house. He stands up and paces around. Aranza says there is no reason why either of them should be bored, at home, alone when they can look for fun things to do together. Aurelio says they can go out wherever she wants but they will each go to their separate homes at night. Aranza stomps off. He goes after her and holds her hand.

Aurelio decides to negotiate with her. He says they should meet during the day and go their separate ways at night. Aranza says it is best for him because he knows what kinds of things he is planning. Aurelio says they can't spend so much time, under the same roof alone and the kiss proves that. Aranza says it's not like they were going to sleep in the same room. She says she would sleep in Gina's room, and he in his room. Aurelio says it's still not a good idea and says he is going to take her home. Aranza is getting frustrated.

She has tried everything but Aurelio is still defiant. Aranza adds that if anything happens then it was meant to. Aurelio stares at her like she is crazy. Aranza says she's already said she's going to a friends' home for the weekend, starting the next day (Saturday,) so she's not expected for the weekend. Aurelio looks at her. She is crazy. Aranza tells him not to overreact and be melodramatic about it. She also adds that she started packing. Aurelio relents and agrees to it. Aurelio says he'll escort her home. Aranza smiles triumphantly when he is not looking.

He escorts her home. They go to the garden and have some juice. Alejandro, who had come to discuss some private matters with Helena and Carlos, looks scathingly at him. Aurelio is afraid and tells Aranza that. Aranza tells him not to be worried because Alejandro is nobody in that house. Aranza adds that the house was her father's and now it is her's and she can bring whoever she wants.

Alejandro tells Helena, he thinks Aranza is in danger, from fortune hunters, because she is young, beautiful and the only heir to the Montes De Alba fortune. He says particularly someone like Aurelio.

Helena says that is likely, but she is still young, and at that age, they are carefree and not ready to settle down, so it is probably not serious. Alejandro decides not to mention Hector and Gina, to avoid linking his displeasure towards Aurelio to jealousy over Hector's relationship with Adrianna.

Later that night, Gina, Hector, and Aurelio have supper before Hector and Gina start packing. Gina asks him what his plans are, for the weekend alone. Aurelio is afraid. Aranza has hijacked his weekend by inviting herself (not that he had significant plans). How does he begin to explain that?

Hector looks at him and asks him why he is so afraid, like someone who is upto no good. Gina glares at Hector, who smiles back innocently at his sister. Gina asks Aurelio what is up. Aurelio takes a breath and says Aranza invited herself. Both Gina and Hector stare at Aurelio shocked. This even by Aranza's standards is crazy. Gina tells him to explain everything Aranza said.

Aurelio looks at Gina fearfully then starts from the beginning. Hector tells him to take care of her and they should protect themselves in case they get intimate. Gina glares at her brother, who says Aranza and Aurelio are not children and should be told the bare facts. Gina then says they have to tell Antonio and Adrianna. Antonio sees Gina's text and goes to Adrianna's room. She too knows because Hector has sent her a message. They go to Aranza's room. Aranza is surprised to see them both. She smiles sweetly.

They tell her that they know she will spend the weekend with Aurelio. Aranza rolls her eyes and tells them to stop being dramatic because she is not a baby. Antonio says that's precisely why they are here. Adrianna tells her in such a situation anything can happen and they should take care. Aranza rolls her eyes. Antonio tells her unless she wants to get pregnant or sick. Adrianna glares at him. Antonio shrugs and says brute honesty is the best.

On Saturday morning, Hector, Gina, Adrianna, and Antonio, like many of their coworkers wake up early, to get ready for the long trip ahead. Antonio and Adrianna leave at 5:15 am and arrive at the Ortiz house at 5:55 am. They leave at 6:10 am and pass by to pick Emma and Martin from Martin's house. Gina sits in front, with Antonio, and Adrianna sits in the back with Hector, Emma, and Martin.

At 7:15 am the bus leaves from the office. The journey is to the lodge at one end of the Esmeralda forest, which is off the town of Santa Clara, (which is where Hector, Gina, Aurelio, and Martin grew up.) Meanwhile, Aranza leaves her home at 9 am and heads off to Aurelio's house. Even though he was expecting her, seeing her there still feels strange. She goes and places her bag in Gina's room. She then goes and sits in the chair in the dining room.

Aranza sweetly asks Aurelio what they are doing for the weekend. Aurelio says he has chores to do, and Aranza says she will help him. He is shocked and says she will do no such thing, because she is his guest, and he can't make her work. Aranza pouts and asks him why he is refusing the help she is offering then walks up to him, and looks him, in the eye, and asks him if he is refusing because he thinks she is a pampered airhead with no skills.

Aurelio assures her, he has no such opinions of her. Aranza says that's good and then asks him for a broom. Aurelio gives up, never has he met a more maddening yet desirable girl than Aranza Montes De Alba. They begin cleaning the house. Aranza and Aurelio finish their chores and sat down for breakfast, after which Aranza makes her famous smoothie.

Elsewhere,

Gina sits with Adrianna and Emma, while Hector sits with Antonio and Martin. Emma sits at the window, Adrianna in the middle and Gina at the end. Directly across were (in order) Isabella, Marianna, and another colleague. Gina could feel the darts Isabella was throwing at her but did not care. She felt Isabella was as crazy as Alejandro and Horacio. The journey usually took around three hours. It's a largely uneventful journey.