CHAPTER 47

Back with Isabella and company,

Horacio points out that, that is a game of chance because, for example, Isabella might have a daughter, and Gina a son, and unless the switch is done before the genders of the children are announced, their opportunity is lost. Alejandro and Marianna agree. Isabella smiles and says they should leave that to her. She says that regardless of the gender they can switch. She adds that it's not like there haven't been cases where people were told they were having either a girl or boy then they have the other.

Everyone looks at her like she is completely nuts and Marianna reminds her that the conception dates are different. Isabella tells them that for the moment, there is not much they can do. She tells Alejandro, to take charge, of monitoring Gina and Adrianna's hospital visits, because they have to find out any bit of information, they can use to their advantage. Alejandro looks at her like she is mad. She asks him if it will be a problem. Alejandro says it won't. Marianna says that she still can't believe, they are going to switch the children.

Isabella tells her to stop being so melodramatic and adds that she should not get attached to her child, because the children they are carrying are nothing more than a means to an end, and are pawns, in a power game.

She adds that they can play around with the dates and induce or delay labor. Marianna asks her, how she can talk about a child so callously, especially her own child. Isabella rolls her eyes and tells Marianna that she is too melodramatic and sentimental. She reminds them that they got pregnant for a reason and that they should be practical.

On Wednesday the next week.

Early that morning, Antonio receives a call. He is drinking a glass of juice, in the kitchen of the Montes De Alba Mansion. He sees it is his grandmother and frowns, but picks it up. She greets him then asks him why he did not tell her about Gina's pregnancy. Antonio says he had planned with Gina to tell her during the next weekend. Claudia says that she can see that Gina is turning him (Antonio) against her. Antonio tells her that she is being dramatic and that no one is turning him against her. He adds that they learned about the pregnancy on Saturday, and they wanted to absorb everything before they told anyone. Claudia scoffs then asks her if Gina's family already knows. Antonio pauses then says yes. Claudia seizes the moment and pounces.

She asks him, why, he told Gina's family, but not his own. Antonio runs his hand through his hair, something he only does when scared or confused. How does he get out of this one? How does his grandmother, always manage to corner and outsmart him? Antonio says that it was his decision, to wait until the weekend, not Gina's. Claudia says she knows he is lying to defend that woman (Gina). There is a long pause on the phone, as Antonio sorts his mind for a reply. Claudia calls him out by his full name, Antonio Miguel Diaz, something she only does, when annoyed with him, even as a child.

Antonio's mind goes through flashbacks, of when he was young, and his grandmother was going to scold him. She coughs and brings him back to the present. Antonio says that things like that are planned, and he couldn't just tell her on the phone. Claudia says that she would like them to meet alone. Antonio says that they will meet on Friday evening. Claudia says that it is fine with her. Antonio asks her if she learnt about Gina's pregnancy from Isabella. Claudia toys with the idea of not answering him but changes her mind. She instead asks him, what he plans to do about Isabella. Antonio folds his hand and says he would never, abandon his child but he has no plans of marrying Isabella.

Later that day, Hector, is at the office garden, out in the large open of it (the only place there to have a secret\private conversation) as you can see anyone approaching, and they cannot sneak up on you), when he sees Gina approaching. She asks him if he is okay, and he says he is. Gina looks at him skeptically. She reminds him that they are twins and she can tell when something is bothering him. He says he is fine, but, he was just thinking about everything that has happened to them in the past, and how unfair life has been to both of them, and how unfair it is for Helena and Carlos to be enjoying what is rightfully theirs, their father's and their sister's.