CHAPTER 8

Marianna tries to flirt with Hector but he is in no mood, for her silly games. His sister is missing, and she could be lying there with heavy stones on top of her. She could be on the verge of dying. He had to remain positive and strong, he was the eldest.

Gina was not feeling any better. Emma was worried. She looked, around and seeing no one, checked the nearby desks for devices. There were none. She then asked Gina, if Antonio, had hurt her in some way. Gina said no. Emma asked, her if she was sure, and Gina said she was.

Emma asked her if she'd seen Antonio.

Gina said he and Adrianna were not coming to work that day because Helena had asked them to stay at the hospital and monitor if Aranza was brought in. Emma said what a sad thing to happen because Aranza is such a sweet girl. Gina says to herself that it is more than that. She says to herself that Aranza is her sister. As for Aurelio, he attended only the first lesson then went home. He was too tense and worried to concentrate in class.

Meanwhile, rescuers had changed shifts and new ones came in to continue the work of looking for survivors. They found five more. Aranza was still not among them. The day winds on but still nothing. Hector, Gina, and Aurelio pray for Aranza. This story is among the most trending in the city. Nighttime reaches and still nothing. Early the next morning, five more survivors are found but Aranza is not among them. Search and rescue operations continue, and a further five people are found. Adrianna and Antonio wait anxiously to see if Aranza is among them. She is but she is badly hurt and is weak and unconscious. Antonio calls Gina, to tell her while Adrianna calls her aunt (Helena).

Gina tells Aurelio and Hector. They are all devastated to see that Aranza is in Intensive care fighting for her life. Antonio asks Gina to come with Aurelio and Hector to the hospital in the evening. Horacio comes to look for Gina, at around lunchtime. She is in no mood to entertain him. He asks her what is wrong. Gina ignores him and calls Antonio, to ask how Aranza is doing. Horacio is surprised at how fond of Aranza, Gina and Hector are.

Helena and Carlos are also here. Carlos secretly wishes for Aranza to die, so that there is no Montes De Alba heir.

Aurelio didn't go to the university that day either and meets Gina and Hector at 4 pm at the office so they could leave. Aranza's condition has not changed much. She is one of the worst injured among her group of friends. When Gina, Hector, and Aurelio arrive Helena and Carlos are in the cafeteria, and Antonio has gone to the washrooms. Hector goes and puts his arms around Adrianna, and she lays her head on his shoulders, as Gina and Aurelio watch them. Antonio comes back.

One of the doctors comes out and Adrianna says she is Aranza's cousin and asks how Aranza is. The doctor says that there is not much change, and Aranza is still in ICU and has lost a lot of blood, and her immunity is weak. Everyone is devastated. When the doctor leaves, Alejandro comes in and seethes when he sees Hector with a protective hand around Adrianna. Alejandro leaves shortly after, to receive a call. Adrianna is happy he left she just wants peace. Aurelio suggests that they go to the hospital chapel to pray for Aranza.

As they go, they run into Alejandro, who asks them where they are going. Antonio says that they are going to the hospital chapel to pray for Aranza but, it's only for her family and friends. Adrianna is afraid he will cause a scene, at a hospital of all places. Alejandro, however, decides to let that slide because they are in hospital. They also ran into Helena and Carlos. Alejandro tells Helena and Carlos, that he does not trust Hector. He says that Hector is just using this opportunity, to score points with Adrianna. Helena tells him to stop being dramatic and says the Ortiz's are friends of Adrianna's, Antonio, and Aranza and that it is perfectly normal for them to offer their support. Carlos makes similar sentiments.