CHAPTER 48

Aranza says that the whole event will be a sham and one big PR exercise. She says she would rather spend the day with people who love her. She adds that she has for the longest time known that to her mother, she is nothing more than a pawn born to gain control of her father's vast fortune. Unable to control herself any longer, she lets the tears flow. Aurelio wraps his arms around her.

Later that night, Adrianna knocks on Antonio's door. She asks him if he is going to her aunt's birthday. Antonio says that after what Helena did to Aranza he lost all respect for her. He adds that he will not go to the party to keep up appearances either. Adrianna says she is not sure; Aranza would willingly want to go. Antonio agrees with her. Just then someone knocks on their door. Adrianna goes to open it, and it's Aranza. She looks from Antonio to Adrianna, pouts, and says that she is not a baby and doesn't like it when they hide things from her and treat her like a baby.

Adrianna assures her they were not hiding anything from her and adds that they were talking about her mother's birthday. Aranza says that if they (Antonio and Adrianna) want to go, she won't stop them. She adds that she would not go. Antonio comes and hugs her and says that he and Adrianna will stick by her and will always be there for her. Aranza's tears start to fall and Adrianna joins them in the group hug.

The next morning (Thursday),

Aranza is preparing for that day's classes when her mother knocks and comes into the room. Aranza folds her hands and glares at her. Helena reminds her that on Saturday, it is her birthday and that she (Aranza) has to be there. Aranza looks at her mother like she was a piece of trash in the street. She then glares at her.

However, to both their surprise, Aranza says she will attend the event. Helena is shocked because she expected her daughter to put up a fight. Aranza, however, is not done. She adds that she knows her duties and responsibilities, and it's only one day to bear. She then tells her mother that if there is nothing else, she can leave.

Meanwhile, Antonio knocks on Adrianna's door. She lets him in. He asks her if she is okay. She says that apart from a bit of morning sickness, she is quite fine. He asks her if she is still not going to Helena's birthday on Saturday. Adrianna shrugs and says that she doesn't really feel like going but she would force herself to go if Aranza changes her mind, to give her support. She asks him about himself. Antonio says he had never planned on going because, he has no respect for Helena, after what she did to Aranza, but he sees her point about them giving Aranza moral support.

Later, once he is in his office, Juan Patricio calls the private investigator to find out, what he has been able to find out so far. The private investigator tells him, that he will send him the preliminary report so far. Juan Patricio says he would like the information via email. The private investigator, says he will send the information the next day, and Juan Patricio agrees.

The information he got so far, was centered on the names of Anna Patricia's parents(Ramon and Clara), that she has an older brother (Armando) who is married(to Luisa) and has one child(Aurelio), that she has a son(Martin), that her son's father died, when he was an infant, how her one marriage after failed because she could not get pregnant, her and her acceptance of the children(Hector and Gina) her brother and his wife adopted.

Later at the university, Aranza and Aurelio are sitting together near a tree. He notices she is unusually quiet and asks her about it. She tells him about the incident with her mother, earlier in the day. Aurelio still looks at her. He asks her what she is upto. Aranza smiles sweetly and says she is not upto anything. Aurelio says he does not believe her. Aranza says she does not plan on going to her mother's birthday. Aurelio then asks her, why she told her mother, she would if she has no plans to go.