CHAPTER 46

Early the next morning,

It is a Sunday. Adrianna is already up and about. She hears a knock on the door and goes to open it. She is irritated to find out that it is her aunt Helena. Helena passes her and enters. She sits down and disgustedly looks around. Adrianna stares at her and asks her, what she wants. Helena asks her where Hector is. Adrianna rolls her eyes and says he is still sleeping. Helena tells Adrianna that she is losing her manners, from hanging around with Hector. Adrianna tells Helena that if she only came to be an irritant and to disrespect Hector, she can leave.

Helena insists that Adrianna has become rude, ever since she started hanging around Hector. Helena tells Adrianna that she has forgotten what she (Helena) has done for her since she took her in. Adrianna tells Helena that it is Sunday, and she is in no mood, to listen to her nonsense. Hearing Adrianna talking to someone, Hector wakes up and goes to the living room. He is irritated, to see it's Helena. Helena and Adrianna both momentarily go quiet, when they see him. Hector passes Helena and goes to sit near Adrianna. He stares at Helena, who says she is there to see her niece. Adrianna says more like to irritate her. Helena glares at Adrianna, who smiles back sweetly.

Helena tells Hector that she will never get tired of repeating how unworthy of Adrianna's love she finds him. Hector tells her to leave Adrianna alone. Helena says that no one, especially not some silly townie, tells her what to do. Adrianna says that it is Sunday, and she wants to take it easy and rest. Adrianna says that if she (Helena) has nothing to say she should leave, or else, she (Adrianna) will kick her out herself. Helena starts to talk but Adrianna tells her that she is fast getting tired of her controlling, and emotionally manipulative ways. Adrianna tells Helena that she is a very toxic and cold person, and she (Adrianna) is setting boundaries because she does not want her child to be exposed to such toxicity.

Helena asks her what she means when she says her child. She asks Adrianna if she is pregnant. Adrianna says she is. Helena is shocked. She tells Adrianna that if she gives birth to Hector's baby, she (Helena) will ensure that the "brat" will not get a cent of the Montes de Alba fortune, and will be left high and dry. Adrianna rolls her eyes and says that she (Helena) must be dumber than what she (Adrianna) thinks if she thinks, she can blackmail her using money. Adrianna says that she is not, afraid to work, to support her child.

Hector, who is near her coughs. Adrianna looks at him, smiles, and says sorry. She then corrects herself by saying their child. Hector tells himself that he cannot wait to see Helena's reaction when she learns who he is. He adds (still to himself) that he and his sisters will take back their father's company. Helena looks at Hector, with utter contempt. She steps forward, to get closer to him. She says she knows his type and adds that his plans of seducing her niece, to get closer, to the Montes De Alba fortune will not work. Hector says he truly loves Adrianna, and that he is not after the Montes de Alba fortune.

To himself, he adds that he doesn't have to be after the fortune because as a Montes De Alba, he is entitled to the money anyway. Out loud, he says that anything he has, he worked hard for it. Hector says that some people covet other people's property and would do anything for it, even kill but he is not one of them. Helena stares, at Hector, after he says those words, and asks him, if he is referring to anyone in particular. Hector says he is speaking in general. Adrianna says that the guilty are always afraid. Helena goes to hit Adrianna, but Hector stops her.

Meanwhile, the private detective Juan Patricio sent, is in the small town, Anna Patricia came from. He is walking near the place where the Ortiz family lived, studying the place and asking questions.

Meanwhile, back at Antonio's house, Antonio asks Gina again, about when they should tell his family about her pregnancy. She still looks scared and full of dread just at the thought of doing it. He holds her in his arms. He says he knows that his grandmother can occasionally be an ogre, but they should do it, as a matter of formality, otherwise, they will be giving her more ammunition to fight their relationship. She reluctantly agrees and asks him when they will go and do it. Antonio runs his hand through his hair and says they will do it the coming weekend. She looks up at him and he kisses her. Just then, the doorbell rings. Antonio reluctantly pulls away from her and goes to open the door.