CHAPTER 10

It is a scary night, as Aranza's health is monitored. While she is still weak, in the morning, she is doing much better. There is also more good news. The end of the probation period is approaching, and several of the trainees will be retained as staff. Isabella is glad Aranza is getting better because then there wouldn't be a guarantee Antonio would see Gina daily. Hector and Gina are back at work the next day.

Everywhere there is talk of the mysterious blood donor. Gina has lunch with Emma. Emma says they should catch up, outside of work, soon. Gina knows Emma wants to grill her about Antonio, safely away from nosy ears but she agrees anyway.

Mariana and Isabella, also talk during lunch. Mariana says she likes Hector but he only has eyes for Adrianna. Isabella says she should not worry, because she can comfortably beat Adrianna.

In the evening, Hector Gina, Adrianna, Antonio, and Aurelio head for the hospital. Aranza is doing much better and is awake. She can have two visitors, but still one at a time. She chooses Hector and Aurelio. Alejandro has as usual come with Helena and Carlos. He is annoyed because he thinks Aranza could be manipulating the situation to bring Hector and Adrianna together. It is no secret Aranza is close to him, and probably would love to see them together. He also suspects she would love to see Gina and Antonio together as well.

Hector goes into Aranza's room. It is the healthiest he had seen her in a while. He sits near her, and she begins to cry. He hugs her and asks her, why she is crying. She says she is afraid, of many things, of getting amputated, developing infections, being paralyzed, and of not getting back to her normal self. He tells her that no matter what happens, he, Gina, Adrianna, Aurelio, and Antonio will still love and support her. Aranza asks about her studies, the end-of-semester exams are approaching. He says that Aurelio has worked with her closest friends from school and all her notes are up to date, and arrangements will be made for her to do assignments.

Aranza is happy, she feels loved. The end-of-semester exams are set to begin the next week. She like everyone is intrigued by the mystery blood donor. Who is she? Aranza says she is tired but bored, and itching to do something fun. Hector smiles. That is the Aranza he knows and loves, always itching to be active. When he comes out Adrianna asks him how Aranza is. He tells them. Aurelio goes in. She smiles at him. Aurelio smiles back. Aranza Montes De Alba is the most difficult, spontaneous, (occasionally pushy), crazy but also the most beautiful girl he knows.

He finds her like a princess. Aranza is attracted to him as well, but he has shown little interest in her. He sees her as more of a friend and nothing more than that. Aranza thinks he is the most handsome, down to earth and the nicest guy she has ever known. Aurelio is sure he loves his stubborn princess but he is afraid. She is from one of the most distinguished families in the city. He is just a country boy, who is studying in the city because of a scholarship. She paid her school fees in full, a week before school began. They come from two different worlds.

Aranza wishes he could see her as potential girlfriend material instead of as Adrianna's pesky younger cousin. He asks her how she feels. Aranza says she feels tired but, she is happy to be alive. She thanks him for what he is doing for her at school. He says there is no problem because they are friends. Aranza sulks. Friends. The word she does not want to hear. She wants to be Aurelio Ortiz's girlfriend, not his friend.

He gets closer and touches her face. Aranza sulks. He asks her what's wrong. She says nothing. Aranza tries to be calm, to ignore what his touch did to her. She says it's just boredom. Aurelio smiles. He says she's healthy and recovering quickly and soon, she will be back doing things she loves. Before he leaves, he kisses her forehead. Aranza would like very much for him to kiss her on her lips.