CHAPTER 26

Meanwhile, Adrianna and Hector have just arrived. Adrianna asks Antonio what's happening. Antonio tells them about the audio Aurelio recorded. Adrianna and Gina are shocked. They decide to wait for Aranza in the IT department offices. Aranza comes, folds her arms, and asks to be told what is happening. Aurelio tells her about his encounter with the guys who drugged her and him managing to record an audio proving that they were behind it. Aranza says she wants to hear it. Antonio says it's unnecessary. Gina adds that they wanted to inform her before taking it to the police. Aranza insists she wants to hear it and eventually they let her. Aranza looks like she is about to cry and Adrianna moves in and hugs her.

Meanwhile, Isabella, Alejandro, Marianna, and Horacio are meeting to continue discussing their plans. Isabella says that there was a delay, so they will have to wait for another week, to carry out their plans to break up Antonio and Gina and Hector and Adrianna.

Meanwhile, at the mental institution, John's recovery is shocking to the nurses and doctors. They cannot explain his accelerated recovery. While he has made no progress in recovering his memory and still doesn't know who he is or recall family and friends, he seems to be recovering his sanity well. A doctor goes through John's files and cannot find a clue. The doctor asks the nurse if John was among those who escaped. She says he was. He asks her to get one of the two emergency medical technicians who brought him back, because he (the doctor) needs to talk to one of them, to better understand John's state of mind.

Meanwhile, Adrianna, Antonio, Aranza, Aurelio, Gina, and Hector are at the nearby police station, to report the four guys for drugging and attempted rape. They hand over the evidence.

Back at the mental hospital,

Roberto Solis, one of the two emergency medical technicians has just finished his shift and is ready to go home when the nurse comes and calls him. She tells him that the doctor, Dr. Enrique Alves, wants to talk to him. Roberto wears his work uniform and goes to see the doctor. Dr. Alves says that he won't keep him here for long, but he just wants to hear an account of what happened when he and his colleagues found John. Roberto agrees and explains what happened. Roberto says that he doesn't mean to be nosy, but he doesn't understand what the doctor is trying to do. Dr. Alves says the transformation John has undergone since he was found is more than what he underwent in the nearly 18 years he has been at their sister facility, despite all being done to help him.

Roberto asks the doctor if he is trying to figure out what John experienced in the time he roamed the streets and see how it is linked to his mysterious improvement. Dr. Alves says Roberto's assessment is not far from the truth. He then asks him if there was anything about the environment or situation they found John that seemed off or interesting. Roberto remembers Gina and John's reaction to her. He says that John saw a certain lady and kept on calling her butterfly. He adds that he looked at her kind of like he was looking past her and talking to somebody else. Dr. Alves says that the young woman (Gina) probably reminds him of someone very dear to him, probably a family member, and seeing her triggered memories.

Roberto asks him if seeing the young woman (Gina) isn't supposed to trigger memories of John's earlier life and the people he came into contact with instead of his sanity. Dr. Alves says that isn't necessarily true. He adds that having read John's file, he saw that John suffered severe bodily injuries including to the head, and it's a miracle he isn't dead. Dr. Alves adds that the few months he spent, wherever it is he was before ending up at the other mental institution probably didn't help much. He further adds that the head injuries caused memory loss, which he has to date. He also adds that John's condition became worse suddenly around one and a half years after he arrived at their sister facility. Dr. Alves finishes by saying that whatever sudden trauma that caused his relapse 17 years ago, the young woman (Gina), triggered something that counters that.