CHAPTER 14

He watches as she places her hands at her sides and looks down. She then tells him that he should not make such jokes, as he is not funny. He places his hands on her chin and holds up her chin so that she faces him. He asks her if he looks like he is joking. Gina stammers as she tries to say something. He says that he has no idea how or when it happened but it did, and he loves her. He says he feels like he has known her forever. This makes her guilty and afraid of his reaction when he eventually finds out who she really is. He asks her if she loves him, as well. She can't lie, and deny what is obvious and says she does. Antonio asks her what she is afraid of if she loves him. She says it's a long story.

He says they have time because supper is from 6:30, pm. She knows he will insist, and it is better to get this conversation out of the way. Gina says there is something that has been swept under the carpet. He asks her what it is. Gina says she knows he has heard the audio from some months ago, because most people at work did, and it has been eating at her, why he has never brought the issue up, even though he has had many opportunities to do so. Antonio knew this day would one day come. He says he did hear the audio, and it hurt him, that she judged him, based on what other people said, and what was written about him in the media and online. He adds that it hurt him more than he cared to admit at the time and even now.

He says even then he had already fallen in love with her and that is why it hurt him, only that he had not noticed it. He also admits that he thought about paying her back but eventually decided to pursue her, change her mind about him and win her over. Gina apologizes for not saying sorry earlier and for her comments. She says she knows he might still be angry about it but she hopes he can forgive her. He strokes her face and tells her not to be worried about it, because it is all in the past, and what is important is that they love each other.

Gina is partly relieved, at least that is out of the way, but the biggest issue, still remains but she can't tell him. Antonio asks her if there is anything else, and she momentarily pauses then says no. Antonio still has a feeling, there is something big, she is keeping, but decides to let the issue go for now. He asks her to be his girlfriend. Gina hoped he would one day ask her, but is still overwhelmed by how she feels and the magnitude of the changes, challenges, and possibilities for the future. A future she hopes can be theirs. She agrees. He smiles and leans in to kiss her.

After a few minutes, he reluctantly pulls away and says he has a gift for her. He tells her to close her eyes. She does but asks him what he is upto. He tells her to be patient and pulls out a wrapped box. He then tells her to open her eyes. She stares at it, surprised and he tells her to open it. When she does, she sees the most beautiful set of green jewelry. It had a pair of earrings, one necklace, and one bracelet. Gina is awestruck and has tears in her eyes. He wipes them away with his fingers and says that today is a happy occasion. He asks her if she likes them.

She says she does and asks him why he chose green. He says because it is her favorite color. He says it is easy to tell because she has a lot of green things and she always wears one green item. He says he chose the forest because it is different, out of the box, and full of green things and asks her if she minds. She says she doesn't and loves that he thought out the plan well, and considered what she likes. She thanks him for noticing, and again for the gifts, and leans in and kisses him.

At 6:10 pm they begin making their way for supper. Gina asks him when they should tell people they are a couple. Antonio checks his watch, and then says he will take a microphone, after supper and shout it out. Gina smiles. Antonio then says they should tell their friends and family, and that everyone else will get the idea. Hector wanted all of them to sit together, but Adrianna said the girls had important matters to discuss.