Going Home

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012

25.2 weeks

Sam had to stay in the hospital for nearly three weeks, mostly because last Wednesday they took the staples out and the next day they had to put more in, since it opened back up. Yesterday they took them out again, and so far it's stayed closed. On the 7th, they made him get up and walk around with the crutches, and they even let him put on actual clothes because the gown he had on was to small and kept opening in the back. A bunch of people came to see him, most of the kids in the school pretty much, thanking him and telling him to get better soon so he could kick some more ass. That was mainly the football team. Principal Figgins and even Sue came to see him. The school wasn't opening back up until after Thanksgiving break, thankfully. Renee rescheduled Brenda's doctor appointment to December 1st, after school. Sam, Chord, and Brenda were waiting on Renee to bring the discharge papers so they could leave. She brought them, and while Sam was going through everything, she told him,

"Just use your crutches until Saturday, then start walking around with out them. You don't always have to, just use the crutches until you think you don't absolutely need them." He nodded. When they had everything, she brought a wheel chair to his room. He sat down in it easily, pouting because he didn't want to be in it. Brenda rolled her eyes and shook her head while Chord laughed. Chord went and got the car as they waited on the side walk. He pulled up in front of them and put all of their stuff in the back, then helped Brenda into the back. Sam stood up on his own and hugged Renee, thanking her for everything, then got in the front seat of the car. They left and when they got home, everyone's cars were in the yard.

"My god, we should have our own damn parking lot across the street." Sam mumbled, making Brenda laugh.

"He's got a point." Chord said, agreeing with him. Sam grinned at him. They went inside, Sam going up the steps easily since he was practically an expert at using crutches by now.

 Later that day

Later that day, everyone was still there, Chris came over with another envelope for Sam.

"I wanted to wait until you got home to give it to you." He told him when Sam looked at him confused."Just open it." Sam shrugged and opened it, taking out a folded up piece of paper, along with what looked like a check. Which is exactly what it was."Read the paper before you say anything about the check."

"Pushy today, huh?" Sam asked sarcastically, unfolding the paper.

Sam,

I know I give you a hard time sometimes, but I just wanted you to know that I'm happy you're getting better and that you're like a brother to me. I've only had a sister, even though sometimes she's close enough to being a brother, but, you know. The check is for every week you missed, and you're on salary, which is why you're actually getting a pay check, even though you can't work. It's over $3,000. Anyway,I know how damn stubborn you are and that you wont want to keep it, but you can't give it back. Just save it for my nieces collage fund or something, or take Brenda shopping for whatever the hell she wants, whatever you want with it. Anyway, just take care of my sister, that's all I want in return for the money. Love you man.

Sincerely, Chris

"You know I'm gonna make you hug me for this, right?" Sam said, looking at him. Chris laughed and held his arms out. They did what seemed between a regular hug and a 'bro hug'."And, you know I'm gonna let her read it and she will slap the shit out of you, right?" He said, pulling away from Chris, he nodded, a scared look on his face. Sam looked at Brenda, who looked like she was crying and laughing.

"Woah, what's wrong?" Sam asked her.

"I'm just happy you're hugging!" She said, wiping her eyes.

"Are you laughing or crying?" Chris asked.

"Both!" She exclaimed, now just laughing. Sam looked at Chris and raised an eye brow like 'I don't even know what's wrong with her right now.' Sam handed her the letter and when she read it, she punched Chris in the arm hard.

"Ow, why?"

"Because of what you said! That I'm close enough to being your brother." She said, pouting, which made everyone laugh.