Chapter 34

Hey guys! This chapter is VERY important. This is the chapter before something huge happens. Enjoy :)

______________________________

The door bell rang twice. I ran down the stairs in excitement. I heard tiny thumping sounds from the door, no doubt that was Shane trying to kick open the door. I opened the door and Shane, Shania and Holly ran inside without looking at me.

“They’re an impatient bunch of kids, aren’t they?” Ben chuckled and walked in. He settled his duffle bag near the shoe rack.

“Yeah, they are,” I smiled and shut the door after him.

Ben sniffed the air and asked “Do I smell pasta?”

I gave him a nervous smile and said “Yes, I made that for dinner. Is that okay or do you want something from a restaurant?”

He grinned and exclaimed, “Are you kidding? I love pasta. I’ll eat all of it.”

I punched his arm lightly and said, “keep some for the starving children and me please?”

“I’ll think about it,” he said and walked into the dining room.

“Wait here while I find the starving children,” I joked and walked upstairs towards the twins’ room.

Once I got there, I opened the door and found them taking out toys from the toy chest. “It’s dinner time now. Play later,” I told them.

“But we wanna play now!” Shane whined.

I knelt down and gave him the ‘big brown eyes puppy dog’ look. “But I made pasta for you,” I told him softly and frowned.

He pouted and then kissed my cheek. “We go eat now, then we play,” he smiled, as if he was trying to make me happy again, and kissed my cheek again.

I nodded and said, “Okay, let’s go.” He smiled and caught my hand and pulled me out the door. I turned around and saw Holly and Shania following us.

We entered the dining room and they climbed up on the chairs. I had already laid out the plates and cutlery for them and put the bowl of pasta on the table so I didn’t have to do much. Ben was already sitting on the table.

“Can we eat now?” Ben asked eagerly.

I laughed and said, “You don’t have to ask, just dig in.”

He grinned and put 3 big spoons full for him. I put tiny portions for Shane, Shania and Holly and then served myself too. The kids were able to eat it with a spoon. Halfway through, Shane started using his fingers and picking up the pasta.

After an hour we were done with the food. Ben had taken all the kids to the washroom to wash their faces. I decided to do the dishes now so that I had more time to spend with him later. Dad bought a dishwasher for me but I never knew how to use it, so I do the dishes manually. I was done with the pasta bowl and plates so I moved on to the spoons. I picked up the silver spoon and washed it carefully making sure that I got all stains out.

“Boo,” I heard a whisper in my ear. I knew it was Ben. I could feel him breathing on my neck.

I quickly turned around and said, “You almost scared me.” But that came out as a shaky whisper. His face was very close to mine. His nose almost touched mine. I could feel his breath tickling my lips. I didn’t know what his eyes looked like because I was only focused on his lips. Before my instincts could take over, I turned around and stared at the sink.

“Don’t sneak up on me like that,” I said, also surprised that my voice sounded casual.

“I’m sorry. Do you need any help?” he asked.