Chapter 41

Uni started. Uploads might be tough, but I'll do it :)

Chapter Forty-One

“Hey,” I replied breathlessly. A million questions ran through my mind. What was he doing here? What did he want from me? Why was he here?? How much does he hate me? That shirt looked great the way it clung onto him.

“I wanted to see how you were doing,” he explained and came closer to the bed. Immediately feeling self conscious, I covered myself with the blanket.

“I’m good, thanks for stopping by,” I told him with a tiny smile.

He walked closer towards the bed and said, “I wanted to talk to you.”

“I’ll leave you two alone,” Dad said.

“Dad, no!” I exclaimed.

“I’ll be in the lobby, I’ll take the twins so you have privacy,” dad stated. Shane and Shania ran towards dad.

“Don’t leave me,” I told him, my voice shook at the end.

“I have my cell phone, call me if you need me,” dad smiled and walked out with the twins.

I heard the door click and then I looked back at Benjamin. I temporarily felt embarrassed for showing him that I felt weak. I took a closer look at him and noticed something off. He didn’t have that glow about him that he usually had. He also had dark circles proving that he didn’t get much sleep. My guilt increased.

“Why are you here?” I asked him quietly. If he came here to yell at me, he should just get to it.

“I came to see if you were okay. I was worried about you,” he simply said and stood at the edge of the bed.

“Why? Don’t you hate me?” I asked him confused.

“Hate you? Why would I hate you?” he asked confused as well.

“Because your sister got kidnapped and it’s all my family’s fault. You should hate my guts,” I explained, half expecting him to yell at me because he was glad that I realized my mistake.

“I’m not mad at you. Maybe the day Holly got kidnapped I was quite mad at your dad, but not anymore. It was a misunderstanding and a misfortunate thing that happened. It’s no one’s fault.”

“Oh,” I said quietly, “what about Holly? How is she?”

“She’s fine. She didn’t even realize that she got kidnapped. We’re not going to bring the topic up ever again,” he smiled.

“Good,” I said. He didn’t hate me, which was very good.

“Can I sit next to you?” he asked me. I nodded and he climbed on the bed and copied my position and sat next to me. “You know, you should be the one hating me. Not the other way around,” he stated while staring at the blank TV.

“What?” I asked dumb-founded, “Why should I hate you? You did nothing wrong.”

“Yeah, I did. I should have heard when those kidnappers came to take you. I could have fought them off. I should have protected all of you,” he said, I could tell that he meant it. The self-hatred was clear in his voice.

“They used a sleeping gas,” I stated, “Dad told me that. I think I heard them entering too, but I couldn’t fight the smell. It’s not your fault. It never was.”

“I’m sure there was something I could have done,” he frowned.

“Nope, I was meant to be kidnapped. Shane and Holly didn’t deserve it, but they got kidnapped too. There was nothing you could have done. Maybe you could have broken off your friendship with me before, then Holly would have been safe,” I told him.