67. the great war 🌹

THE GREAT WAR
-my hand was the one you reached for, all throughout the great war-

I hate crutches with a passion, a passion that is rooted deep within me. We get out of the taxi, Ciro almost trips me up by shoving my crutches out of the car, "Are you fucking serious?" I snatch them off him.

"Sorry." He coughs, throwing some money in the backseat for the taxi driver, thanking him and then holding me up. "Will she be okay to see me?"

"She probably will be, if not, you wait outside." I look at this small, farm house with two agents outside of.

Arabella gave birth two weeks ago, her midwife called me and told me she's been struggling and because i've been struggling with everything too, i thought seeing cute babies and my best friend would help me, and also give her a rest.

I hop to the agents, literally. "Hello." I smile.

But they both looked at Ciro strangely, they have probably seen him when doing research.

"Okay, well is Arabella inside?" I click.

One of them steps out of the way and lets me walk in, but the other starts patting down Ciro.

The possible crown tattoo visible on Ciro's arm might be that reason.

I hop in the house, hearing babies cry already. I follow the sound, seeing her cradling three babies, two clutching to each breast and one weeping in the middle.

"Hello, mama." I lean my crutches against the wall, limping over to her. "Which one is this one?" I wash my hands in the sink quickly.

"Matteo." She clears her throat, "What happened?"

"Story for a different day." I sit on the other arm chair, leaning over to pick Matteo up. "Bottle?"

"Just put a finger between his lips, he's already been fed, he just wants attention." She looks at me, her eyes heavy.

I do that, and his small hand raises as he sucks on my finger. He's so cute, "Matteo is Asher's?"

"Yeah, Ilaria too and then the blonde one belongs to blondie." She just seems so distant.

She doesn't look happy.

"Blondie, oh how i love blondie." I say sarcastically.

I know this could all be over, i could find out who did this all to me, Roman knows. I could do it all if i tell him where Arabella is.

But i could never do that to her. I'm okay waiting a little longer if it means she finally finds the means to be happy again.

"What did he do now?"

"Typical Roman stuff." I smile at her, "You look beautiful, you know that."

"Don't lie-"

"Stop being so hard on yourself, you gave birth to three amazing little babies all by yourself, and you still look like you could pick up every guy on the street."

She chuckles softly at that, a real smile. "I miss talking to people who aren't doctors."

I let my gaze settle on her for a little bit, "I'm sorry i can't come over often."

"You have your own life, i don't expect you to." She clears her throat again, "Where's Coin?"

"Being searched by the agents outside, don't think they like that he has a tattoo for your husband."

"Oh yeah, they'll give him a hard time." She pulls over the blanket whenever Romeo stops nursing. "So what happened to you?"

"Oh... uh... bomb went off, got kidnapped from a hospital, near got killed... you know, the usual." I smile, rubbing Matteo's tummy a little.