3. Dance

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Dream strides back over to Y/N's table who throws an annoyed glance at him but sends the guards away nonetheless.

"What now?" she asks, her tone slightly more agitated than before.

"Wow," Dream places one hand on his chest pretending to be offended. "I thought you were lonely so you'd enjoy some company."

"I never said I was lonely," she points out as he sits opposite her again. "You were the one that thought I looked lonely and decided to sit here."

Dream bites his lip and tries to come up with a response but the host of the ball suddenly interrupts them.

"Attention everyone!" The host stands in the middle of the dance floor, microphone in hand. "It is time for the ball to begin, everyone grab your partner, and let's get this party started!"

Dream glances back at Y/N.

"What?" she finally spits out. "I'm not dancing with you."

"Why not?" he asks with a smirk, hand reaching toward her Y/S/C hand.

He steals a glance at her father over her shoulder who looks just about ready to jump him, hand reaching into his jacket for something. Y/N glances at her father too and smiles.

"You know what? Why not?!" Dream chuckles as he takes her hand and kisses it, pulling her from her seat and onto the dance floor.

They take their positions, his left hand on her waist and his right hand holding her left hand. She rests her right hand on his shoulder and smiles.

The music begins, soft and slow at first as the couples turn around the floor.

Dream glances around, noticing all the weird looks they're getting.

"Everyone's staring at us," he whispers.

"And?" Y/N shrugs. "If they want to stare, let them stare. No one's danced with me for a long time."

"Because of your father?"

She sighs as Dream twirls her around. Her black dress flies out around her, the feathers catching the light and shimmering with a slight silver sheen.

"Yes, he's very overprotective of me. I'm his only daughter and in a mafia world, being a female isn't exactly favorable."

"I understand," Dream nods. "So why did you change your mind? You didn't want to dance with me a few minutes ago."

Y/N smirks as she glances over at her father with his arms crossed, his mouth set in a fine line.

"I want him to see that he doesn't have control over my life. If I want to dance with someone, so be it."

Dream grins as he spins her around again as the music speeds up slightly.

"But I suggest you leave," she whispers. "You have no idea how the mafia society works. The mafias are planning a war, this party was for alliances."

"I know," he grips her hand tighter. "That's why I came, to make alliances."

"You don't understand," she says softly, glancing at others now and then. Her hand slips from his shoulder to his chin as she leans their heads closer. "They came here to make alliances. We came here to prevent alliances from ever being made."

Dream stares at her in confusion for a second and then it hits him.

The guards, they brought way more than any of the other mafia leaders. He looks back at her and she smirks.