66. The End

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Silence.

Cold silence.

Dream's eyes flick between Y/N's eyes and the barrel of the gun.

He remembers that faithful night.

The night when his warehouse was attacked.

The night when he encountered a mysterious masked person from their rival mafia.

The night when this exact scenario went down.

We've come so far.

I had so much hope.

But Y/N's right.

It's for the best of the city.

It'll save so many lives.

He turns his attention back to his wife who still stands there with an unreadable expression.

"You can't do it, can you?" he whispers softly. "You have the capability to kill me now. But you can't. You don't have the heart to."

Y/N stays silent, just watching him. Her right hand is still wrapped around the gun, squeezing it tightly. Her left hand is balled into a fist and she clenches the fabric of her nightdress tightly.

"Y/N I know you want to save everyone. But we figure this out together. This isn't the only way."

"Shut up," she whispers quietly but he continues.

"Y/N even if you save everyone I'll be gone. You'll be alone again. You said that you've never found love like me before. I know you love me Y/N and I know that I love you too. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of Schlatt, even if he's dead. You're afraid that the blame will be shifted to you if you don't do this."

"Dream," she warns, her tone low and dangerous.

"You won't be able to live without me Y/N. I'll be miserable knowing I died without you. And you'll be miserable knowing that you're the cause of my death. I don't want you to be unhappy. I want to die together. Even if we drag everyone else down with us. And what about my friends? What about Drista? What about Tommy? How will they feel knowing you killed me?"

Y/N's face shifts slightly, a crack in her stony exterior. Dream continues to press on.

"You're afraid," he says. "You're afraid of being the one to blame. I know your fear is strong right now. But I also know your love is strong. You're in love with me Y/N. You really are. And I'm in love with you too. You can't let your fear be stronger. You can't let your fear win."

The air around them is silent.

"Don't let this be the end Y/N," he pleads. "What about our happy ending? What about going on adventures together? What about growing old together? You can still have your fairytale ending. I'll be your prince and you'll be the princess. We're married now. That makes us the Queen and King. We'll rule the mafia world together. We'll make changes for good all while having a thrill along the way. We'll have our happy ending."

Y/N sighs.

"This isn't a happy ending," Dream finishes. He spreads his arms out and closes his eyes. "I don't want this to be the end."

After a few beats of silence, a single shot rings out in the night.

Dream gasps as a sudden force smashes into his chest. He looks down and sees Y/N with her arms around his waist, her face buried in his chest.

He smiles and embraces her back, rubbing calming circles on her back. The clattering sound of the gun hitting the tiled balcony floor makes him sigh with relief.

"I'm sorry," she mumbles, her tears soaking into the fabric of his shirt. "I'm sorry."

"I knew you wouldn't do it," Dream smiles. He runs his fingers through her hair and feels her sigh with contempt. "I just had to convince you that you wouldn't be able to."

Y/N looks up at her husband, her cheeks wet with tears.

Dream brushes them away with his thumb and gently tilts her head up.

"I didn't slay a dragon for you," he whispers, bending down to her level. "But I would definitely die for you."

The moon shines on both of them as they kiss. The wind died down and it seems as if the whole world is rejoicing in their happy ending.

A few hundred feet away on a rooftop, Marcus watches the two lovers with a smile.

"I guess giving tests really does run in the family," he smiles as he holds Schlatt's phone over a quiet street and releases his grasp.

A few seconds later, a lone car comes barreling down the road. It runs straight over the device and an audible crack can be heard.

He turns to go, placing his binoculars around his neck but takes one last look at his daughter and her husband.

The two haven't moved from their position, still wrapped in each other's arms and drowning in their love.

"And this marks the end of our story," he smiles and turns to the sky at no one in particular. But behind the moon, thousands of stars are twinkling in the sky. All of them weep as they can feel morning on its way. "And the start of a new one."

"Thank you for reading."

——————————————————————————————

927 words

These last few chapters have made me wonder if Marcus was the main character all along 🤔

Hope you like the ending my little stars :)

I've planned this for a very long time.

I have one more chapter for you, the epilogue!

It'll be a nice little callback to the beginning.

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!