52. The Calm Before the Storm

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Corpse," Y/N begins. "Techno told me some information."

The man before her lets out a hum to show he's following.

"About Schlatt."

He freezes and feels his blood run cold. He lets go of the pen and sighs.

"Do you know?" she asks quietly, her fingers twisting together. 

He gives a solemn nod.

"I want to know if it's true Corpse."

The office is silent as Corpse breathes in and out deeply.

"It is, to some extent."

Y/N raises an eyebrow at him.

"I wouldn't expect you to ally with our enemy," she says.

"That's not what I—" Corpse cuts himself off and groans. His hand fingers tangle through his curly black locks, the silver rings glint in the dim lighting. "I haven't joined him Y/N, okay? But he did ask me to ally with him."

Y/N shifts her position to one leg crossed over the other as she folds her arms across her chest.

"What did he offer?"

"2.2 billion dollars, plus half of whatever he stole from you guys," Corpse says slowly. He notices Y/N's fists clench. "But I didn't accept!" he quickly says.

Y/N stays silent and turns away from him, facing the window.

"That's not good," she whispers.

"Y/N!" Corpse raises his voice slightly. "What did you want me to do?! I said no, multiple times! You know that Schlatt can be pretty persuasive. Some of my own men were pressuring me to ally with him! We haven't seen each other in years! Was I supposed to put a bullet through him the moment we sat down?!"

"Corpse!" Y/N yells and I shrink back at her words. Despite being a female mafia leader, her presence and anger were still just as intimidating. "I wasn't talking about you. I'm proud that you said no."

"Then what is not good?" he asks. His hand reaches across the table for hers. She places one hand in his palm and he closes his hand over it.

"You're not the only one he's bribed," she finally says. "One of Techno's allies is also getting bribed."

"You think—"

"Yeah," she sighs and Corpse releases her hand as she pulls out her phone. Her fingers scroll through it for a few seconds before turning the screen to face him. "They've all joined him."

It's a list of the top 100 mafias in the world. As he scrolls down the list, over a third have red x's next to their names.

"We're heading to war," Corpse breathes out.

Y/N just nods. 

"There's no escaping this, Schlatt will be after me, you, Techno, and Dream."

"Oh about Dream," Corpse hands the phone back and props his chin up with one hand, elbow resting on the table. A smirk spreads across his face which makes her blush.

The mood changes. The clouds clear as Y/N's smile shines through. 

"I've heard some interesting things. Care to tell me the full story?"

Y/N lets out a laugh and smiles which makes Corpse break into a genuine smile. He rarely got to see her truly happy.

"What's there to tell? I'm sure you know enough. I fell for my rival, what else is there?"