63. Waking Up

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Dream opens his eyes and squeezes them shut immediately after.

After a few seconds, he slowly opens them again.

The room is filled with a soft yellow glow from the lamp by his head.

Dream groans and rolls over only to wince in pain again.

His right leg is wrapped in clean white bandages, so tightly bound it's almost painful.

He's wearing the clothes he wore for the mission with only his pant leg being torn off to make room for the bandages.

A soft ping sounds on his ear and he turns to find his phone lying on the table next to him.

Dream struggles to slide toward it but eventually manages to flick the phone onto the bed.

It lands beside him, surrounded by the silver intricate patterns decorating the starch sheets.

His lock screen is filled with endless notifications from Sapnap, George, his sister, Punz, and other members of his mafia, asking if he was okay.

Sapnap:
Dream?
Dream
DREAM
Are you okay?
They said you ran out to find Y/N
They said they heard shots
Please don't be dead
You can't die on me
Who will run the mafia?
Who will scold me for all the stupid shit I do?
Please don't leave me Dream
Not like this
I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye
And your wedding
I was supposed to be the best man (not George lmao)
Please Dream, please don't be dead
Please

This brings a smile to Dream's face as he leans his head back, recalling the events from the night before.

Wait, Marcus?

Like Y/N's dad?

He saved us.

By how?

Didn't he die?

Another message from Sapnap pops up.

Dream, I have a confession
Maybe you'll read this, maybe not
It doesn't matter
We're all grieving for you
George
Karl
Everyone
I just want to let you know, it wasn't Drista who leaked your passwords to an enemy mafia all those years ago
It was me
I'm sorry

The words strike Dream like a lightning bolt.

It wasn't Drista?

He remembers the day so clearly.

Flashback to years ago

"Dream I didn't leak your passwords!" Drista yells. She slams her palm onto his desk. Her dark green cloak billows as she spins around angrily to face him.

"You're the only one who could have!" he yells back. Sapnap stands off in the corner, watching the two siblings argue.

"Sapnap could have!" Drista yells. Sapnap's head snaps up at her words as he stutters a response.

"He's loyal to me!" Dream shoots back. "And more careful!"

"You're saying I'm not loyal?! That I'm not careful?!" Drista screams. Her hands tighten around the handles of her swords. "You're saying I'm not careful enough to be in your mafia?!"

"YES!" Dream finally yells. His face is red with anger and his breathing is ragged.

Drista falls silent, as does Sapnap.