32. Autumn Leaves

Dream POV

Y/N insisted that the place was only a few minutes walk from the coffee shop.

I'm half convinced that she's taking me away to murder me so I sent a text to George so he could track me in case anything happens.

The air is cooling rapidly but with my jacket, I feel decently warm enough. I wonder how Y/N isn't cold with only a hoodie over her shirt.

"We almost there?" I ask. We'd been walking for a solid 7 minutes down the street. Cars fly past us and occasionally we get a few people but u it at relatively quiet.

It's barely noon but the sun, at its highest position in the sky, is shrouded by clouds.

"A few more blocks," Y/N says without turning around. I'd been walking slightly behind her the entire time, watching her every movement carefully.

"You sure you're not going to kill me?" I ask, trying to sound like I'm teasing but the threat remains prominent in my mind.

Y/N deliberately steps in a few leaves, crunching them loudly. I only noticed now, after we've been walking, that she's wearing combat boots.

"If you're so paranoid, you can turn around and walk back to your car," she sighs. It was probably a 10 minutes walk back to the car now.

I stay silent as Y/N turns down an alleyway. The darkness engulfs us and I only see her shadow up ahead.

"Y/N—" I start, feeling a pit in my stomach grow. My hand reaches into my pockets for a knife.

She ignores me and continues walking. We reach the end of the alleyway which is blocked by a 10-foot-high brick wall.

Y/N studies the wall for a second before backing up and getting a running start before leaping at it with full force. Her fingers grasp onto a notch in the wall as she hangs there for a few seconds before pulling herself up and jumping to the top.

She sits down on the top of the wall and grins at me.

"Come on."

"What?" I blink my eyes a few times to make sure I heard her correctly.

"Climb up, this way is faster since you love to complain about how long it's taking."

I eye her suspiciously and grumble under my breath.

Fine.

I back up to get a running start and jump up, grabbing the top of the wall with both my hands and pulling myself up with ease.

"Cheater," Y/N rolls her eyes before swinging over the other side and jumping down.

"How is that cheating?" I scoff. My feet hit the grass next to her as she slows up so we can walk side by side. "Don't need to be salty that I'm taller so I don't have to use more effort."

"I'm not that short," Y/N replies, her eyes still focused on the path ahead of us.

"You are," I hold my hand up to the top of her head and move it across so it barely brushes the bottom of my jaw. "How tall are you?"

"5'6," she answers and I smother a laugh. "That is two inches taller than the national average for females!" she defends.

I scoff and push her shoulder lightly, causing her to stumble.

"Short."

Y/N glances up and rolls her eyes with a smile. It's the first time I've seen her genuinely happy around me.

We lapse back into silence and I'm soon aware of the darkness around us. The trees drop their red, orange, yellow, and brown leaves on our heads. A carpet of leaves crunches under our feet as we walk but I notice that there's nothing else in sight.