39. Another Ball

3rd Person Omniscient POV

"Y/N, are you sure?" Dream asks. He balances the white envelope between his fingers, the letter inside already open on his desk.

"Come on, the New Year's mafia ball is the best one of the year, better than the annual."

"Just a bunch of drunk people partying until we get kicked out," he snorts, spinning around on his chair. "Not fun."

"You're no fun," she shoots back. "If you're not going, I'll go with Techno."

Dream growls at the thought of her ex dancing with her while they get drunk.

"Maybe Punz."

He lets out another growl. Y/N grins over the phone at his jealousy.

"What if you get hurt?" he asks. "What if someone drunk does something to you? What if you meet one of your other, not-so-nice exes? What if—"

"First off," Y/N interrupts. "Last ball, Techno and I started that fight. Second, I'm sure Techno or Punz, whoever I go with, will protect me. Maybe both?"

Dream's hands grip the armrests and he glares at the phone.

I want to be there to protect you.

"Fuck you," he spits out, hearing her laugh in return. "Fuck you."

"Love you too my dearest," she says with a light giggle. "But you don't decide what I do."

The phone call ends and Dream is left sitting there, stewing in his anger.

"Dream?" he hears his name being called from the doorway. His hand closes upon a paperweight and hurls it in the general direction.

The crash and scream proceeding makes him tune around fast. The stone is lodged into the white wall which is cracked around the impacted area.

The scream came from George who stares at the broken wall with wide eyes.

"George," Dream breathes out, his hand resting on his chest. "I'm so sorry, I was just stressed. I got off the phone with Y/N and—"

"Shut up," George says in a stern tone. "Punz wants to see you downstairs in the dining room."

"Why?" he asks. Punz was notorious for keeping to himself and training most of the time. He only interacted with Dream when he was ordered.

"Don't ask me," George snaps in his usual irritated tone. "He just wanted me to check if you're busy and judging by the fact that you were calling Y/N, I think you have time to speak with him."

Dream frowns and opens his mouth to come up with a response but George beats him to it.

"Now I'm going back to sleep. It's 6 in the morning and if I hadn't gone downstairs for a snack, Punz wouldn't have made me the messenger boy. He could have just texted you," the brunette huffs as he slams the door behind him.

What could Punz possibly want? If he's going to that ball, I'm personally making sure he doesn't.

Grumbling, Dream makes his way downstairs and into the empty dining room. The mansion is quiet, the usual on a Saturday morning. Punz usually slept in so being up early meant it was something serious.

Dream closes the doors behind him and sees Punz lounging in the head chair at the table. His combat boots are propped up on the oak table and he leans back with a smile.

"That is my chair," he snaps. The blonde rolls his blue eyes and scoffs, putting his feet down and standing up. "So what did you want to talk about?"

Punz hesitates and frowns.

"I want to go to the New Year's mafia ball in two days."

"No," Dream answers quickly.

Of course, I called it.

"I need to go," Punz insists.

"So you can fuck your ex-girlfriend who is now mine? I don't think so," Dream scoffs.

"You should stop calling her yours," Punz says, turning to face the massive windows which look out onto the city. "She doesn't like that."

"Wow, so you're just an expert on her huh?" Dream tales a few steps back, preparing to leave.

"The point is, I want to go to the ball. To keep Y/N safe. And Techno's going too, for the exact same reason."

"Safe from what?" Dream asks, he leans onto the table and brushes a few crumbs off its surface.

Stupid servants can't even clean properly.

"Schlatt," Punz says in an almost whisper. The name makes Dream stand up straight, it stirs something in him. "He's going to be there, like every year. And Y/N knows it. She's going to try something risky, to kill him."

"But she— Schlatt and her," Dream struggles to speak. Images flash through his mind of the man he hates, cornering his only love while he remains helpless here.

"Yes, that's exactly why this is dangerous!" Punz suddenly yells. He grabs his blonde hair with both hands and begins to pace. Punz was usually good with keeping his emotions under control, but not now. "She called us both, telling us she planned to go and kill Schlatt. Her father banned her from going to this event for years because of him! We pleaded with her not to go but she didn't listen! Now we have no choice but to go and protect her!"

"We're going," Dream says finally. His eyes have become darker as he stares out the window at the city which is just waking up. "All of us. I'm not letting her get hurt. Not again."

Punz stays silent but gives a grateful nod. Dream throws open the doors and catches the nearest servant passing by.

"Tell the entire mansion that breakfast will be served early. Everyone must attend. I will be making an important announcement then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my god, it's so beautiful!" Niki squeals as Y/N rotates in a full circle, letting the dress's skirt flare out. "I thought my dress was beautiful but yours takes the cake!"

"Thank you, Niki," Y/N manages a small smile. "I can't wait to wear it to the ball. Pass me the black pouch real quick?"

Niki nods and holds out the black velvet pouch. It's small, only the size of her palm, and feels extremely light.

Y/N opens it and slips out a small silver chain from inside. She clasps it around each of the pouch's strings and finally wraps it around her neck. The pouch hangs just low enough under the collar of the dress.

She stares at herself in the mirror with a slightly evil smirk.

"It's perfect."

——————————————————————————————

1,099 words

I wrote this is art class haha

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!