Chapter 25: Shadow Squadron Attacks!

Y/N POV

"Sirs, we're coming out of hyper space near the Medical Station!" 

As one of the pilot droids said this, Grievous let out an annoyed roar before responding "Well it's about time! Pull us out of lightspeed and get into battle formation!" The droids all responded "Roger Roger." Before inputting several buttons on the console in front of them.

The blue tunnel around us disappeared, once more revealing the black void of space. I knew instantly we'd reached our goal. Directly ahead was the Medical station, just as Count Dooku had informed us.

Image of the Haven-Class Medical Station:

I stepped forward, looking at the station through the window

I stepped forward, looking at the station through the window. I saw a few transports that looked like they were preparing an evacuation. Turning to Grievous I stated "Right then, let's get this over with. We want that station destroyed before too many personnel can escape."

Grievous snarled before responding "For once we agree." Before either of us could give the order to prepare the Ion Cannon, another of the droid pilots spoke up, informing us "A squadron of Republic fighters are approaching."

We both knew who this was, my eyes narrowed in a frown as Grievous took the words right out of my mouth when he snarled "Skywalker." I asked one of the pilots "What are we up against?" I knew the Republic had plenty of starfighter types at their disposal, it was best to be prepared.

The droid brought up a hologram and said "They seem to be using bombers Minister." Sure enough, the hologram in question revealed a BTL-B Y-Wing Bomber. I couldn't help but smirk as I said "So, that's Skywalker's game then.

Image of a BTL-B Y-Wing Bomber:

As the bombers approached, Grievous instructed every droid on the bridge

As the bombers approached, Grievous instructed every droid on the bridge. "Launch fighters and bring the ship around!" I quietly muttered "With pleasure." Reaching over to one of the buttons on the console. Pushing it, I spoke into the speaker "Deploy all Vulture Droid fighters, attack formation."

A third droid informed us "There are several Medical transports surrounding the station." My attention once again turned to the transports, another one was lowered and proceeded to follow after the others. 

Grievous instructed "Target the transports first! I want every single ship destroyed!" At this, I actually turned to Grievous and questioned "Are you sure? Once we destroy those transports it will take a while for the cannon to be ready again. If we target the station now, we can end this right away and take out the transports at our leisure."

This only served to anger  Grievous more as he snapped "No! I will not take any chances! Target the transports first THEN the station!" I sighed and commented "Have it your way. It's your funeral." 

The Ion Cannon charged up and fired, launching itself towards the medical transports and completely engulfing them in purple energy, leaving them vulnerable to be ripped apart under the heavy barrage of cannon fire.

As each of the ships fell apart, Grievous mocked "This is too easy!" I watched as a swarm of our Vulture Droids flew out of the hangar towards the oncoming bombers and engaged them in a frantic battle.

Image of the Vulture Droid:

Now, we actually had an advantage here

Now, we actually had an advantage here. Standard Starfighters like our Vulture droids were far more manoeuvrable and fast than their Y-Wing bombers. Given how fast Vulture Droids were anyway, we had the advantage for speed.

Even so, I was genuinely caught off guard when Grievous instructed "Charge the Ion Cannon and prepare to fire!" Normally I wouldn't be bothered by this in the slightest, but he wasn't meaning to fire at the Medical Station, but rather at the cluster of fighters!

I stepped near him and exclaimed "Are you insane?!" One of the droids voiced my thoughts perfectly "But sir, our fighters will be caught in the blast!" With that, Grievous just snapped "Fire at my command!"

I yelled "You idiot! You're costing us valuable resources!" Grievous gave me a sideways glance and said "I care not for the credits bleeding from the pockets of you corporate scum." At this my eyes went wide again, this time in rage. Igniting my lightsaber I threatened.

"Corporate scum you say? If it wasn't for Dooku's insistence on keeping you around, I'd put you down right here." I took a deep breath to calm myself down and switched my saber off. I couldn't afford my anger to get the best of me, least of all, now.

Grievous only seemed mildly caught off guard by my threat, he soon turned his attention back to the ships, analysing the battle occurring before us It took him a moment before he finally gave the order, clearly not changing his mind. "FIRE!"

Again the Ion Cannon fired, the blast of energy shot towards the swarm of starfighters. I just watched with anxious anticipation, Skywalker, as you'd expect lead his fighters in a desperate attempt to evade, taking a quick dash upwards.

One of the bombers seemed to malfunction due to engine damage, I could just about see as it exploded, taking another down with it. A handful of the bombers managed to successfully avoid the blast with the rest, much like our Vulture Droids, all being wiped out and rendered useless. 

I angrily smashed my fist into the side of the podium. While we had taken out most of their ships, several of them had remained, one of which I KNEW was Skywalker. Not only that, but we were now down an entire squadron of Vulture Droids.

As the bombers proceeded to descend, they were met with our own cannons. One of the droid informed us "Sirs, the enemy fighters are approaching." And it was at this point I made a choice, one I was unsure of but knew I had to at least try.

Turning on my heal I made my way to the bridge's exit. Grievous turned to face me and asked "Where do you think you're going?!" I stopped briefly and gave a sideways glance before saying calmly. 

"Send out the second squadron of Vulture Droids and tell them to follow my lead..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, the next one will be the second space battle in the story, so that should be fun. I really hope you enjoyed and as always, thank you for reading.