Chapter 68: Artillery Fire from Below, the Impending Republic Attack

Y/N POV

It seems the prediction had come true.

I hadn't even reached the settlement Tambor had mentioned, the sight of Republic ships appeared in the skyline. It was hard to make out, but I believe I saw specs that I believed to be distant gunships. It appeared I was right on that theory and the Republic were targeting the cannons to allow more of their ships landing.

It was at this point it occurred to me, Tambor's directions weren't precise. However I quickly learned that this wouldn't exactly be a problem as soon the sounds of cannon fire filled the air and I saw blasts shooting up in the distance. Giving the handles of the speeder a twist, I sped up towards my destination...

TX-20 POV

Image of TX-20:

"Just as I predicted, our cannons are working effectively to prevent the Republic ships from landing however some of their smaller gunships have successfully landed

"Just as I predicted, our cannons are working effectively to prevent the Republic ships from landing however some of their smaller gunships have successfully landed." I clasped my hands together and bowed my head as I delivered the information.

Emir Tambor adjusted one of the dials on his chest plate. "Then the Jedi are forming a ground assault. Your strategy had better work." I assured him "I calculate there is only a 15.7% chance that my plan may fail."

To this Tambor replied "That may be the case. But I have news for you. Minister Y/N L/N is on his way to your location via speeder. He is to be allowed entry and will oversee your little plan." I interjected "Sir, that is not necessary."

Tambor was firm though "You can explain that when he arrives." I bowed my head a second time and said "Then I shall await his arrival." With that the transmission signed off and I turned to one of the droids.

"Keep an eye out for Minister L/N's speeder and ensure his safe arrival here..."

Y/N POV

After speeding up, it didn't take long for me to reach the settlement. Naturally, the entrance I reached was heavily guarded by a squadron of Battle Droids, for anyone else, this may be a problem. However it seems Tambor had contacted ahead.

One of the droids could be heard stating "It's the Minister, let him through." With that the droids lowered their blasters or turrets and I was free to pass with no further problem. The streets were empty and deserted so it didn't take me long to reach the settlement's centre.

It was a large open area, droids and cannons outlined the space. In the centre, the Twi'Lek villagers were all rounded up. As I walked past them some of them shot glares in my direction which I only responded with a blank stare.

My focus was in the very centre of the courtyard, a small structure had been set up. Various droids were operating on terminals and in the middle was the T-Series Tactical Droid, I assume this was the one I'd been told about.

I never really trusted the Tactical Droids, they were vein, narcissistic and too overconfident in their strategies, even if it was one that was doomed of fail. However I did like the premise of them and if an upgrade was ever created with a more level head, I'd gladly fund it.

Approaching the droid, I sternly let out a cough to gain its attention. Its head turned in my direction and upon noticing me, it stood up from its chair and greeted with a formal bow. "Greetings Minister L/N, I am designated as TX-20, I have been expecting you."

I maintained my blank expression as I said "I'm sure you have." I quickly shifted the topic by asking "What's the status on the Republic attack?" TX-20 answered with the same monotone voice all T-Series Tactical Droids had.

"The Republic forces were forced to land in the nearby trees. We have lost word from the bunker near where they landed, so it is to be assumed that they have entered the settlement with intent on taking down our cannons."

This caused me to think for a moment, formulating a strategy. It was unknown of Skywalker had carried on leading the charge on the surface. If not, then who? There was only one logical step forward. 

Turning to the tactical droid I instructed "Release the probe droids. Have them spread out and scrounge around. That will give us an idea of who we're up against. Clones are just Clones. But the Jedi leading them will change their strategy. If we know who, then it will be easy to dispose of them."

The droid nodded before saying "Yes Minister, it will be done." He turned to one of the Battle Droids operating a terminal and ordered "Send out the Probe droids. I want to know how these Jedi plan to attack."

The Battle Droid responded "Roger Roger." Before pushing a sequence of buttons on the panel. A hatch opened up on the platform and what seemed to be strange objects were shot out.  I of course knew what these were.

The objects began to reveal a series of mechanical limbs out of the bottom and began emitting the familiar noises you'd associate with a probe droid.

Image of a Probe Droid:

As soon as the droids had taken shape, they spread out and began their search of the village

As soon as the droids had taken shape, they spread out and began their search of the village. Intent on providing us with the vital information into our new adversaries. What we'd find though would certainly be interesting...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, there will likely be two more of Innocent's of Ryloth and then we'll be moving on to Liberty on Ryloth. After that we have one chapter based off an episode and then one final arc from Season 2 of Clone Wars before we reach the end of the book. I really hope you liked the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.