Chapter 44: Relief to Rodia

Y/N POV

"I have arrived at Rodia now Viceroy. I will take over until I've made contact with the Senator."

I stood on the bridge of a Munificent-Class frigate, a hologram of Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray stood before me. A frown etched across the Neimoidian's face before he lectured "This little relief effort strategy of yours had better work Minister, I've put a lot of credits into lending you Federation ships for this."

It seemed, an opportunity had arisen. The supply ships for the swampy jungle planet had been ambushed and destroyed by pirates, leaving them without food, medicine and supplies. The Republic, as it was, was too busy squabbling amongst itself to come up with a relief effort of its own. Which gave us an opening. I pitched the idea of organising our OWN relief effort.

I did this for two reasons, one more selfish than the other. The loss of the Malevolence had cost me a large amount of credits, the loss of the Skytop Station on the Ruusan system did as well. I couldn't risk another large hit in quick succession! And Rodia was an interesting planet. As in, it was one of the few Republic-affiliated planets to still do business with the Shipwright's Guild, and house one of its factories, this had been the case long before the Clone War and my ascension to Minister. This tied into the other reason.

Because of a factory being located on Rodia, a percentage of my work-force were Rodian and they had families on this planet who suffered under this famine of theirs. One thing I was good for was ensuring my workers were looked after. Arranging this partnership would be beneficial for both the Confederacy and the Shipwright's Guild itself.

I raised an eyebrow at Gunray and corrected his statement. "Actually Viceroy, those are property of the Shipwright's Guild, you will be compensated if any damages are made to the fleet. Now, I suggest you don't question my methods again. Is that clear?"

Gunray was obviously intimidated as he twitched a bit in anger. After I pitched the effort, Gunray quickly jumped on the idea despite being sceptical of it. This wasn't because of credits or gaining a new system under the Confederacy's umbrella. But because of Rodia's Senator, Onaconda Farr.

You see, Farr had connections to a particular Senator. Not just anyone but Senator Amidala herself! When I pitched the idea, he came up with a little condition to the relief effort that in their desperation, Rodia would be unlikely to refuse. Amidala would be handed over to the Trade Federation and they would join the Separatist cause.

I was going down to the planet alone for now. I didn't trust Gunray not to fail this potential partnership straight away. Once I had ensured contact with the Senator, I would patch a communication through to Gunray to seal the deal. He would join us here thereafter, provided the terms were agreed to.

I reminded the Viceroy. "Just remember, I will contact you once I've either made contact or reached a point where I deem it suitable. Make no attempt to contact me before then." Gunray just gave a nod before I pushed the button to disconnect the message.

Looking up, I began instructing all the droids and organic pilots on the bridge. "Contact the fleet and bring them into orbit." The organic pilots replied with "Yes Minister!" While the droids responded "Roger Roger."

The ships began heading further towards the planet, we entered into the atmosphere and soon the darkness of space was replaced with the green skies of Rodia. Straight away, one of the droids turned to me.

"Sir, we're picking up a communication from one of the cites directly beneath us. What should we do?" I smirked, muttering "This was easier than I thought." I spoke out loud. "Let it through." Another hologram came up, revealing a Rodian in wealthy attire, likely one of Farr's aides.