Chapter 71: The Republic Offensive

Mace Windu POV

As soon as the ATTE started shaking and came to a stop at an angle, I flung the top hatch open, climbing out I ordered the Clones to "Take cover!" As they did that, I stepped around to the front cabin. Placing my hand against the glass, a simple channelling of the Force shattered it allowing me to reach the unconscious pilot and drag him behind the tank to safety.

We'd been on the final stretch to the capital city of Lessu when we came under fire from a convoy of Separatist tanks. Normally this wouldn't be a problem. However due to their higher elevation and position along with our restricted manoeuvrability , they'd rained down fire on our vehicles and officially stopped our advance. 

As we sought shelter behind our destroyed vehicle, Ponds made his way over from one of the back convoy. Once he'd reached us, he ducked close to the cliff wall and informed "We're pinned down!" 

Image of Commander Ponds:

I wasn't about to let something as trivial as a few tanks get in our way

I wasn't about to let something as trivial as a few tanks get in our way. Not now. Kenobi's report had confirmed my concerns that Y/N was here and he'd likely retreated to the capital. The sooner I'd found him, the sooner I could bring him in.

Perhaps I felt guilty for how he turned out. But ultimately, it was Dooku's influence that was responsible. He was the voice whispering in his ear even before they'd both left. Y/N never trusted the council, Dooku was likely to blame.

With this in mind, I ordered "Bring out the Lightning Squadron!" Ponds wasted no time calling into his communicator. "I need Lightning up here now!" With the command given, I stated "Get the engine back! I'm gonna clear the road!"

Turning towards the destroyed AT-TE, I gave one large Force push with enough power to move the now empty vehicle off the edge of the cliff into the abyss below. With that out of the way, our other units were free to advance.

It was now that Lightning Squadron finally arrived. A squadron of AT-RT Walkers arrived. They were the smallest of our walkers, but were faster and more agile than the clunky tanks. One came to a stop in front of me, the Clone riding it informed "It's all yours General."

Image of an AT-RT:

I climbed aboard, turned to Ponds and said "We'll lead the way Commander

I climbed aboard, turned to Ponds and said "We'll lead the way Commander." As we sped towards the enemy forces, Ponds ordered "FORWARD!" We reached the end of the narrow passage and now focused on the tanks.

They obviously noticed us, as their attention was shifted off our larger units and onto us. What was exactly what I wanted. The AT-RT were extremely agile and were able to either leap OVER or around the incoming fire.

My first target were the droids I assume were leading the charge. I stopped in front of them and blasted both. With them out of the way, it was now a matter of dealing with the tanks. Again, while our vehicles weren't as durable, they were more agile.

We evaded their lasers and targeted their weaker areas to destroy them. Some were destroyed with a well-placed thermal detonator. Either way, we soon broke through the Separatist formation and our walkers came to a stop.

As the AT-TE caught up with us, I turned to Ponds and asked "How many men did we lose?" Ponds took his helmet off and explained "Thirty two I think. Including command crews of three walkers. The good news is General Kenobi's broken their lines. We can clear a path straight to the capital now."

I sighed before saying "This battle was costly. We're going to need help to take the city." I had an idea, but I'd need to run this idea through first...

Y/N POV

"... We're going to need help to take the city."

I clenched my fist as I glared down at the hologram recorded by our Probe Droid. Hatred filled both my body and my mind. However, I pushed it to the back of my mind as Tambor stated "The Republic is advancing faster than I expected."

The response came from another Tactical Droid, this one was designated as TA-175 who explained "I calculate they will reach the main gates by morning." Turning the hologram off to look at us, he suggested "I recommend we prepare a retreat."

Image of TA-175:

Before I could say anything, Tambor declared "I will NOT retreat! That Jedi does not have the troops to take this city

Before I could say anything, Tambor declared "I will NOT retreat! That Jedi does not have the troops to take this city. Bring our units inside the walls and secure the bridge." I thought for a moment before nodding.

"He's right. As-is, Master Windu is both outnumbered AND outgunned. However trust me when I say he's resourceful. He will find other means, I can promise you that." Turning to TA-175, I ordered "Keep our ship on standby in case the need arises." The Tactical Droid replied "Yes Minister."

Tambor looked at me and asked "You doubt our chances?" I responded sternly "You don't know Mace Windu like I do. If he has his mind set on something, he can accomplish it. And he's one of the strongest Jedi out there. It's best to have all our options available."

Tambor let out an agitated grumble. I just kept a stern, emotionless face. In all honesty, I didn't want to retreat. Not when Windu was THIS close! 

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. We're in the final stretch of the Ryloth arc now. I hope you enjoyed and as always, thank you for reading.