Chapter 56: The Return of R3-S6, A Chance to Regain Credits

Y/N POV

"Minister, if I may, there is something on my mind."

I turned my head to face the aide stood next to me, this one was a Duro, eyeing me cautiously. Unlike the Trade Federation or Banking Clan that were mostly made up of a singular species with maybe the occasional exception. The Shipwright's Guild was comprised of many different backgrounds. My aides were no different.

I raised a hand saying "Speak your mind." The Duro aide took a moment before saying "I'm certain I speak for many when I say that I fear our funds are decreasing following your agreement to join Count Dooku's Separatist movement."

He was right, since the Clone War has broken out, we had faced loss after loss at the hands of the Republic. And most of these were vessels built by this very company! So each one was costly. First there was the Malevolence, that was the most expensive.

There was also the loss of one of the Skytop Station comm ships. With one down, the security of the others had come into question. The Battle Droid patrols on each station had been increased drastically to ensure Jedi wouldn't infiltrate them again.

Already knowing this news I responded to the aide in an annoyed tone. "This I'm already aware of. What would you propose we do?" The aide didn't seem shocked by this, I did consort with them if necessary.

"Minister, it may be time for you to withdraw from the effort. Focus on more internal matters?" My previously blank expression shifted to one of annoyance as I promptly growled in response "You know full-well I can't do that. I gave Count Dooku my word of the Guild's factories and ships. And I never go back on my word."

The aide stepped back stammering out "Y-yes Minister I understand but-." He trailed off for a moment, evaluating his words carefully before finally saying "But perhaps, wouldn't it be more efficient to focus on an internal matter?" 

I fell silent thought over what was being said, not that I was considering it. I owed Dooku more than you could imagine. For as long as I could remember, he had been like the father I'd never had, which was ironic since he was the one to reveal my real father's identity to me all those years ago.

The silence continued for a moment before I turned to the aide once more and asked a question, completely unrelated to the original suggestion. "How are R3's repairs coming along?" The aide seemed confused for a moment but responded nonetheless.

"The Astromech Droid? I'm not sure, when I last requested an update they just told me to be patient and said nothing else." I stood up from the chair before saying "I shall go and inspect their progress myself."

Following the destruction of the Skytop Station and my recovery of R3's remains, I'd turned them over to the engineers aboard my personal flagship, the Dark Veil to reassemble. I didn't trust him out of my sight.

I'd ordered a few upgrades to be made. None were external, but I'd ensured he was more efficient against other Astromech droids. Namely Skywalker's little hunk of scrap should they encounter each other again.

The aide just bowed respectfully, "Very good Minister." Was all he said as he followed close behind me off the Dark Veil's bridge and towards the room where the engineers worked to reassemble my droid.

It didn't take long to reach the room in question, a set of automatic doors that opened as soon as we were close enough. Gathered around a table similar to the assembly table on the Station were about six engineers gathered around the table tinkering.

Upon noticing me, they all exclaimed in unison "Minister!" Before bowing, I made a gesture with my hand for them to continue before asking "So, give me a progress update. How go the repairs?"

One of the engineers responded "We're making the finishing touches Minister. If you remain here, your droid will be back up and running within half an hour tops." I let out a hum of acknowledgement and just stood back for a moment, allowing the engineers to do their jobs.

It took time, I'm not sure how long exactly before a familiar beeping sound could be. One of the engineers exclaimed in triumph "Minister! Your droid is complete!" The engineers all swarmed the table and began presumably trying to lift the droid up onto its wheels.

I could hear them muttering "Careful, careful!" And "Don't drop it!" The engineers worked together to lift R3 from the table, I just watched as they slowly held him up before placing him on his wheels in front of me.

For a moment, nothing happened before I turned to an engineer and asked "Can he hear me?" The engineer replied "It should." I stepped forward once more, before kneeling in front of my Astromech and asking "R3?"

As soon as the word was spoken, the droid made a movement and let out a series of beeps, he rolled closer to me, causing a faint smile to finally etch across my face. One thing I prided myself on was that I always repaid loyalty and appreciated those who displayed it. R3 had shown me more loyalty than anyone else within my ranks, that's why I had him rebuilt, to repay said loyalty.

I placed my gloved hand on the droid's head saying "It's good to have you back my friend." R3 let out a series of excited beeps. I took this moment to think of what my aide told me earlier. With R3 safely repaired, my mind was free to think.

While I had no intention of deserting the Separatist cause, there was a single matter that came to mind. I looked towards the aide in question and asked "That reminds me, what news have you from the Corellian Engineering Corporation?"

Some time ago, I'd sent out another offer to the Corporation in an attempt to acquire them. Given how Skywalker was using one of their freighters my attention had been piqued. The aide just looked at me for a moment before responding.

"Another refusal sir, their CEO is being extremely stubborn." The answer I expected, no matter, I had an idea. Standing to my feet again, I turned to my aide and said "Well then, I suppose it's time we give them another kind of offer. Signal the fleet, order them to make the jump to Corellia."

The Aide seemed bewildered by this order "You're going to launch an attack a world so deep in Republic territory sir? With all due respect, that sounds risky." I nodded "Indeed, but I have more claim to that world than some Republic. Give the order." The aide bowed, "Yes Minister. Of course." As he left, I heard R3 beeping behind me.

Turning to him, I said "I suppose this was inevitable R3. I've not been back to Corellia since this war began. Our factories there were all shut down. It's time to get them reopened." R3 let out a beep in agreement. I muttered.

"I guess it's finally time for me to go home, the home I'd been taken from years ago..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, so now you know Y/N is Corellian, I would have hinted at this but I felt it best if I left it a surprise. Also R3's back! He'll be in a few arcs from now on. Sorry for the lack of uploads, this arc came about on short notice and I'm struggling to plan it out, originally, I was going to skip from 'Lair of Grievous' right to Ryloth because none of the episodes between then would really fit in. I only had this idea very recently so it may take me time to figure stuff out. I do hope you liked the chapter though and as always, thank you for reading.